Norwich City’s club record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel ends goal drought with St Etienne strike
- Credit: PA
Norwich City's club-record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel scored his first goal for loan club St Etienne on Thursday night in a 1-1 French Ligue One draw against Bordeaux.
The Dutch international volleyed home Franck Tabanou's cross six yards out in the 31st minute to break a drought which had stretched back to last season's opening day Premier League draw against Everton on his Norwich City debut.
Liverpool loan defender Tiago Ilori equalised for the visitors five minutes from the interval, before van Wolfswinkel spurned a chance to grab a winner when he planted an unmarked header over just prior to the hour mark for the 10-time French champions in front of 25,510 at the Geoffroy-Guichard stadium.
The 25-year-old was substituted in the 70th minute in what was only his second start for Christophe Galtier's side since his summer switch from Carrow Road after a disappointing debut campaign for the Canaries.
Norwich officials agreed an initial season-long loan move to the Greens, who have the option to buy the striker in a deal that could be worth more than £7.25m to City.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls