Trybull’s tenacity, tempo and thumping strike to beat Boro proved how he had earned new Canaries contract
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Norwich City player watch followed the fortunes of midfielder Tom Trybull as he returned to the Canaries' starting line-up after back problems – and proved the key man in a 1-0 home win over Middlesbrough.
Big cheers just seconds before kick-off as the Carrow Road faithful are told that Trybull has extended his contract until 2021.
5 – Good play from Harrison Reed and Josh Murphy finds Trybull 25 yards out, opts not to shoot and plays Timm Klose into left channel, whose low cross is cleared.
7 – Up well to head on an Angus Gunn goal-kick midway in the Boro half but Oliveira also goes towards the ball so flicked on to visiting defender Ben Gibson.
8 – Stewart Downing's corner from the right is headed up by Klose and Trybull heads away from danger.
10 – Adama Traore steps inside the German too easily and hits a low shot from 20 yards which bends away from the far post.
14 – Traore plays himself into trouble deep into his own half, bursts away from James Maddison but Trybull stops him in his tracks with a robust tackle.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 5 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 6 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 7 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 8 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 9 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?
17 – Good tackle to beat Rudy Gestede to the ball in midfield after a loose pass from Maddison.
20 – Out-muscles Grant Leadbitter to get his head to a Darren Randolph goal-kick. Soon after accidentally clatters Jamal Lewis, both going for the ball from a Ryan Shotton long throw.
27 – Plays a long ball towards Reed on the right, before realising Gestede was marking him and had a major height advantage.
32 – Plays Oliveira into the right channel but the striker fires a weak shot on target after a turn on the ball.
34 – Can't catch up with Adam Clayton after a poor clearance from Klose but battles back to thwart the danger.
43 – Uses his strength to get between Traore and the ball as the winger had beaten Grant Hanley to a loose ball.
44 – GOAL – Lashes a rising shot from just over 20 yards which Randolph can't keep out to spark chants of 'super Tommy Trybull'
45+1 – BOOKED – Trips Patrick Bamford as he pushed towards the City box but Leadbitter curls free-kick over.
49 – Just about controls a heavy touch from Oliveira under pressure, spreads right but Reed gets his touch all wrong.
59 – Murphy's shot is blocked and Trybull bends a poor shot well over from 25 yards.
60 – Replaced by Moritz Leitner and it later emerges he had rolled an ankle.
Verdict: The Trybull and Tettey midfield axis again proves its worth for Daniel Farke, providing defensive cover and with tenacious Trybull setting the tempo of City's play. With the game's deciding moment coming when the power of the 24-year-old's shot surprised Darren Randolph and celebrated his thoroughly deserved new deal perfectly. Not bad for a free transfer, is he?!
Rating: 8 out of 10