Norwich City new boy Ayala ready to impress
Norwich City's new central defensive recruit Dani Ayala feels he is ready to stake a claim for a starting spot against Stoke on Sunday.
Ayala played just under 70 minutes in his debut for the reserves during midweek after completing a four-year move from Liverpool. The 20-year-old was heavily linked with both Swansea and Hull - where he featured against the Canaries on loan last season - but Ayala revealed a switch to Carrow Road to further his career was a logical choice.
'It wasn't a difficult decision to join Norwich,' said Ayala. 'I was at Liverpool but it was difficult – I have to play first team football and that's why I came to Norwich – to play first team football.
'Anywhere you go, you have to fight for your place. So I am happy to have the competition and, hopefully, I can be in the first XI on Sunday. It is a big challenge to stay in the Premier League, but I think Norwich have the quality to stay in the Premier League this season.'
Ayala could be in the frame for a place in Paul Lambert's matchday squad with Zak Whitbread (knee) a doubt after picking up a knock in the opening day draw at Wigan.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 9 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 10 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000