Norwich City midfielder Wes Hoolahan earns Republic of Ireland call-up
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Wes Hoolahan has been named in the Republic of Ireland's provisional squad for September's friendly against Oman and the opening 2016 European Championship qualifier against Georgia.
Hoolahan is in a 36-man party, released by Irish boss Martin O'Neil on Thursday morning, which will be trimmed ahead of the Dublin friendly against Oman on Wednesday, September 3 and the trip to face Georgia in Tbilisi four days later.
Former Norwich City midfielder Anthony Pilkington is also included in the provisional list, with both part of O'Neil's touring squad during the summer tour to the USA prior to the World Cup in Brazil.
Hoolahan has been a key figure for the Canaries in the opening weeks of the new Championship season after being brought back into the fold by Neil Adams. The Dubliner recently signed a new longer-term deal keeping him at Carrow Road until 2016.
O'Neil is looking forward to his first competitive match in charge of the Republic since he was appointed last year, with the squad due to meet up on August 31.
'I have had the opportunity to work with the players since last November, and we are well prepared as we embark upon the first of our qualifiers next month,' he told the FAI web site. 'Oman will provide a good test to start our trip before we travel to Tbilisi. We are focused on the task in hand, and look forward to the challenges ahead of us.'
Ipswich duo Daryl Murphy and Connor Sammon are also in the squad with City travelling to Portman Road in Saturday's East Anglian Championship derby.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 5 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 6 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 7 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 8 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 9 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?
- 10 Water company 'very sorry' as people fill sandbags in flooded street
• Republic of Ireland provisional squad
David Forde, Keiren Westwood, Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot, Richard Keogh, Marc Wilson, Seamus Coleman, John O'Shea, Alex Pearce, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Damien Delaney, Joey O'Brien, Shane Duffy, James McCarthy, Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark, Stephen Ward, Glenn Whelan, Darron Gibson, Andy Reid, Aiden McGeady, Anthony Pilkington, James McClean, Robbie Brady, Stephen Quinn, David Meyler, Wes Hoolahan, Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Jon Walters, Kevin Doyle, Anthony Stokes, Simon Cox, Connor Sammon.