Norwich City midfielder Jonny Howson set to miss out against Preston
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jonny Howson is losing his fitness battle to be fit for Norwich City's Championship game against Preston North End.
Alex Neil confirmed at Colney on Friday afternoon the midfielder had yet to recover from the ankle problem that had seen him miss the games against Rotherham United and Fulham.
Neil, however, reported no fresh injury concerns from the midweek 2-2 league draw at Craven Cottage.
'It's a bit of blow that he's not available. There's not really a timeline at the moment, but it's frustrating because we want to get him back,' he said. 'I think Jonny's going to be out (this weekend). He is a big player for us, somebody who's done extremely well for me since I've been here. We just need to assess him pretty much at the last minute and see where he is. He's only be able to do little bits and pieces of training this week although he has done enough to suggest if I needed him he could be involved so it wouldn't be a gamble in that respect. In terms of coming out of the Fulham game there is nothing else of note to report in respect of the other boys.'
Neil also provided an fitness update on Matt Jarvis who underwent knee surgery in the summer and has yet to feature this season.
You may also want to watch:
'He is now in the process of getting his fitness back up,' said Neil. 'His injury has not responded in a negative way so that is a positive for us. Things are moving in the right way. Basically, once we deem him fit enough he will be involved in training but there will no contact or very little contact for the first week or so and then gradually build that up.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 6 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale