Norwich City midfielder Anthony Pilkington’s wedding plans could scupper his Irish World Cup dreams
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Anthony Pilkington's impending nuptials look set to postpone his World Cup qualifying bow for the Republic of Ireland.
Pilkington is in line for his first senior cap in this month's prestige Wembley friendly against England after being drafted into Giovanni Trapattoni's provisional 28-man squad earlier this week. The 24-year-old, however, is scheduled to get married in Cheshire two days after facing the Three Lions before a planned honeymoon that is set to rule him out of further upcoming friendlies against Georgia and Spain and the key qualifier with the Faroe Islands on June 7 in Dublin.
The Italian is poised to make a personal plea to Pilkington in a bid to delay his honeymoon when the Irish squad meet up in London on Sunday week. Trapattoni has already hinted both Pilkington and City team mate Wes Hoolahan will feature from the start at Wembley in a new-look 4-5-1 formation.
'He (Pilkington) could be important against the Faroe Islands,' said Trapattoni. 'He doesn't know what will happen in the future but he will have many opportunities to go on honeymoon. I know there might be problems with his wife (to be). England and Spain are important friendlies. I would go without shoes to play the game against England. I would swim the ocean to play against Spain.'
Pilkington insisted prior to the latest Irish squad announcement the lure of Wembley would be a huge attraction after earning one solitary cap at under-21 level.
You may also want to watch:
'It would be massive. To play at Wembley is massive for any footballer – it's one of the best stadiums to play at, in front of the English fans in England v Ireland would be great,' he said.
'I haven't really thought about it, to be honest. I was in the last two squads and had to pull out because of injury. That's up to the Irish squad and the people here (at Norwich), the physios and the manager, to see whether I'll be available for that and go from there.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath