Norwich City midfielder Alex Tettey back in contention for Southampton after injury scare
Norwich City midfielder Alex Tettey is back in contention for the Premier League visit to Southampton this weekend after his Stoke injury scare.
Tettey was forced to depart in the closing stages of the 1-1 Carrow Road draw against the Potters after being caught by a studs up challenge that earned Stoke's Jonathan Walters a red card.
Chris Hughton confirmed at Colney on Thursday his Norwegian international enforcer has responded well to treatment and is in the squad for the trip to St Mary's.
'Alex is back in, no problem,' said Hughton. 'The lads were off on Monday, he didn't train Tuesday but he has trained the rest of the week. He took a blow to that knee area and it was a fortunate one in the sense it could have been a lot worse.'
Michael Turner and Jonas Gutierrez have both returned to training, but Hughton confirmed neither are in his plans for the trip to the south coast. Turner has been out since damaging his hamstring on New Year's Day and Hughton admitted the towering centre-back had been a huge loss.
You may also want to watch:
'Yes, too soon really for this weekend,' he said. 'He has trained two days and considering the length of time he has been out we have to be careful. It is just good to get him back on pitch. He has been a big miss.
'Michael is a solid campaigner. I think in some ways a little bit similar to Joseph (Yobo). If you are talking about centre halves then he does what it says on the tin. He is a steady, uncompromising centre half and he is certainly one who is prepared to throw his body in front of the ball. There are no frills about him, he does the job and that shows in the amount of games he has played.'
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 4 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 City closing in on Werder Bremen striker
- 7 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 8 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 9 Jailed in July: Drug dealing, knife crime and manslaughter
- 10 Man in 30s dies after crash on A12
Hughton delivered mixed injury news on midfield duo Leroy Fer and Elliott Bennett. Fer is back in light training after his own hamstring problem but is poised to remain sidelined for the foreseeable future. Bennett will make his long-awaited return to training next week after a season wrecked by the knee ligament injury suffered on the opening day against Everton that required surgery and months of rehab.
'Elliott Bennett will hopefully be training with us next week and we've been encouraged by some of the injured players, who are either back now training or very close to training,' said Hughton. 'Leroy was outside doing a bit of running on Wednesday – we'll keep trying to give updates on his progress but he's still going to be a few weeks away.'