Norwich City look to complete Jonas Gutierrez transfer deal with the Newcastle midfielder in Norwich for talks
- Credit: PA
Newcastle midfielder Jonas Gutierrez is poised to become the Canaries' first January transfer window signing, with the Argentine having travelled to Norwich to complete a potential deal.
The 30-year-old indicated over the weekend he will leave St James' Park on his personal Twitter account and the experienced midfielder is expected to link up with former boss Chris Hughton over the coming days. Championship promotion hopefuls QPR have also been linked with Gutierrez but City appear in pole position with one report surfacing on Sunday night of a £3m deal. Hughton confirmed after his side's 2-0 defeat at Everton that City's depleted midfield was something he must address after a season blighted by injuries.
'We are working hard to make sure that, before this window finishes, we have the right players and the right squad to be able to compete,' said Hughton. 'We've had injuries – it's not something we've gone on about because we've just tended to get on with it – but you will always miss the likes of Jonny Howson and Anthony Pilkington. We have a couple coming back shortly and that will help us.'
Gutierrez was a key figure in Hughton's Newcastle squad that stormed to the Championship title but the popular midfielder revealed on Saturday his days with the Magpies are numbered.
He tweeted: 'Thanks for the messages. I enjoyed my five years at the club, It was an honour and a pleasure to play with the Newcastle shirt.'
You may also want to watch:
Hughton again reiterated Wes Hoolahan remains part of his plans after the Irishman was an unused substitute at Everton following intense speculation regarding a possible January transfer window exit to Aston Villa.
'There has been lots of speculation but I don't respond to speculation, I respond to facts and the facts are he is a Norwich City player and very much part of our squad,' said Hughton. 'He is a Norwich City player who was in my thoughts to play in this game and he is a strong part of the squad.'
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 'Rare' Norfolk vicarage goes up for sale for £1.1m
- 3 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 4 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 5 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 6 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 7 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 8 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 9 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 10 Six schools in Norwich area closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases