Norwich City loan watch: Another clean sheet for Matthews with Plymouth and Jaiyesimi wins penalty for Grimsby
- Credit: Liam McAvoy/Focus Images Limited
An eighth clean sheet of the season for Remi Matthews ensured the remarkable Plymouth revival continued in League One.
Argyle were bottom in mid-December but their 1-0 win at Oxford, the Norwich loanee's 17th appearance, secured a fifth consecutive victory to move up to seventh and within a point of the play-offs.
Shrewsbury remained top despite a 1-0 home loss to Rotherham, thanks to their nearest rivals not having a game, with Canaries midfielder Ben Godfrey playing the full match and striker Carlton Morris coming off in the 74th minute.
In the Championship, Yanic Wildschut was an unused substitute as Cardiff moved up to second place with a 1-0 home win over Middlesbrough.
On-loan City defender Russell Martin was involved in a thriller in the Scottish Premiership on Sunday, as Rangers won 5-3 at Hamilton to move back up to second, conceding a harsh penalty after the ball hit his hand when making a block.
Kenny McLean played the full game and was booked as Aberdeen lost 2-0 at Hibs on Saturday but Steven Naismith wasn't fit enough to return as Hearts were held to a 1-1 draw at Ross County – with former Norwich striker Kyle Lafferty scoring his 15th of the season for the visitors.
Back down south, Diallang Jaiyesimi came on in the 77th minute of Grimsby's 3-1 loss at Cambridge and won the late penalty from which they scored their consolation. Adam Phillips was not involved for the hosts and keeper Paul Jones was an unused substitute again as Exeter were beaten 1-0 at home by Mansfield.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 9 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 10 A47 reopens after serious crash
In the National League, Ebou Adams played all of Leyton Orient's 1-0 win at AFC Fylde and Michee Efete got 90 minutes as Torquay lost 3-0 at home to Dagenham & Redbridge. Louis Ramsay wasn't involved in a 3-2 loss at Hartlepool.
Marcel Franke played all of a 1-0 home win over Jahn Regensburg for Dynamo Dresden in the German second tier and on Friday, Todd Cantwell made his first start for Fortuna Sittard as a 1-1 draw brought an end to four defeats on the spin for the Dutch second tier side.
Meanwhile, in non-league, keeper Jake Hallett kept a clean sheet as Mildenhall were held to a 0-0 home draw by Potters Bar Town in Bostik League Division One North.