Jurgen Klinsmann to play for Inter Forever against Norwich City Legends
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Jurgen Klinsmann, one of the most popular overseas players to have graced English football, is to play in the Legends game at Carrow Road at the end of the season.
The legendary German striker was added to the Inter Forever team along with Brazilian international Maicon, and Euro 2004 winner Giorgos Karagounis.
Klinsmann is one of the most iconic names in world football after a stunning club and international career, but surprised the football world when he decided to join Spurs in 1994.
He arrived with the reputation of being a 'diver' but after scoring on his debut at Sheffield Wednesday, he won over fans with a self-deprecating 'swan dive' – and a legend was born. The media which had pilloried him before his arrival named him the 1995 Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year.
Klinsmann – who won the World Cup in 1990 and the European Championship in 1996 – played for Inter from 1989 to 1992.
You may also want to watch:
He is the second World Cup winner to be added to the Inter Forever squad alongside Marco Materazzi, who scored in Italy's 2006 World Cup final win over France.
Get your thinking heads on, Norwich City fans – we need your Uefa Cup memories!Maicon spent six years at the San Siro, winning won four Serie A titles.
Karagounis was an instrumental figure in Greece's fairytale European Championships success in 2004 – he scored the tournament's opening goal with a long-range effort that stunned hosts Portugal.
Inter Forever will face the Norwich City Legends – including the likes of Darren Huckerby and Grant Holt – at Carrow Road on Sunday, May 20. Supported by club Community Partner Aviva, the match is raising funds for the Community Sports Foundation's (CSF) new £10m site near Norwich Airport, The Nest.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
CSF have launched a Build The Nest campaign to raise £2.5m, which the game will contribute towards, while marking the approaching 25-year anniversary of City's famous Uefa Cup run under Mike Walker.
Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s, from tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield. Find out more about The Nest at thenest.org.uk