Norwich City Ladies stun QPR to pull off Women’s Premier League Cup upset
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies edged an epic five-goal thriller at QPR in a match described by the Women's Premier League as the tie of the round.
Before Sunday's League Cup first round kick-off there was a minute's applause from both teams, as a mark of respect, in memory of Zoe Tynan the former Fylde Ladies player, who tragically passed away last week.
Despite the hosts playing a level above the Canaries both teams were eager to take an early lead. It was Rangers who struck first on five minutes when Jenny Critchley beat City keeper Fiona Coombes.
But after two Paige Shorten chances, both of which went close, Norwich levelled matters when Chelsea Garrett slotted the ball past Victoria Caldwell in the QPR goal on 18 minutes.
Norwich were then denied twice in quick succession by Caldwell, before Ebony Wiseman struck the back of the net from 25 yards on 29 minutes to put the underdogs in front. A further spell of pressure from Norwich saw Brooke Osborne go close twice more to leave the score at 2-1 come half-time.
You may also want to watch:
After the break the R's stepped up a gear and tried to take hold of the game.
Ellen Swift replaced Shorten just after she had gone close, denied by Caldwell.
- 1 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 2 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 9 City confirm midfielder exit
- 10 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
The next goal went to QPR on 72 minutes, when Liv Thompson netted from 25 yards even though Coombes got a hand to her fierce strike.
The equaliser set the scene for an intense final 15 minutes and it was Kyla Love for Norwich – with a first-time shot from close range – that settled the tie on 81 minutes to leave Scott Emmerson's side as 3-2 winners.
It was a less enjoyable day for Lowestoft Town as they continued their winless start to the season by being thumped 8-2 at higher-level Portsmouth. Gemma Moore and Brogham Scully netted for the visitors.
Up next for both sides is WPL South East Division One fixtures on Sunday. Norwich host Cambridge United while Lowestoft visit Luton Town.
QPR: Caldwell, Lopes, Hennessy, Thompson, Hester, Searle (Smith, 61), Critchley, Anu, Godden, Peck, Engels. Goals: Critchley (5), Thompson (72)
Norwich: Coombes, Radley, Wilson, Keevil (Gower, 79), Parsons, Wiseman, Osborne, Shorten (Swift, 49), Garrett, Drake, Love. Sub not used: Bird. Goal: Garrett (18), Wiseman (25), Love (81)
Referee: Luke Holmes