Norwich City Ladies score six in impressive away win
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City showed no mercy on Division 1N newcomers St Neots, coming away with an emphatic 6-1 victory.
City drove forward early on, with Ellie Brine sweeping home their opener only for the hosts to get the ball past Summer Haylock to equalise.
This was a wake-up call and City then took charge. Olivia Williams dived to deflect in a short corner before Krystal Bishop scored with an acute angle finish to make it 3-1 at the break.
City came out for the second half on a charge and Bishop set up Williams to extend the lead before further goals from Micayla Tootill and Abbie Ingham completing a comprehensive win.
Dereham were disappointed with their 1-1 home draw with Newmarket after dominating the game but failing to capitalise on their lead.
The hard work from the midfield of Sarah Steele, Georgie Edwards, Becca Colman and Grace Cresswell paid off in the second half when captain Colman put away a well-worked short corner.
Dereham held onto the lead until the last play of the game when Newmarket put away a short corner of their own.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 3 Woman 'shocked' to find CCTV in Marina Centre changing room
- 4 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 5 Cromer Carnival events cancelled due to extreme heat.
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 8 Flood alerts issued along the north Norfolk coast tomorrow morning
- 9 Investigation closed into fatal crash where car crashed into river
- 10 20 fire engines and 90 firefighters contain large forest blaze
In the same section Harleston Magpies II hammered Lowestoft 7-0 while Watton lost 3-1 at Wisbech.
In the top flight a depleted Norwich Dragons made the long journey to Kent to take on Maidstone and were beaten 1-0.
The first half saw chances for both sides, with Dragons goalkeeper Siobhan Cleeve making some crucial saves. After the break Hayley Toleman saw a penalty flick saved before Maidstone capitalised on a moment of disorganisation to break through and score.
The last 10 minutes saw the Dragons press the ball high up the pitch but chances and short corners came to nothing.
Norwich City II saw off Yarmouth 2-1 in Division 2NE, with all the goals coming after the break. Hannah Jarvis and Milly Brown put City two up before the visitors pulled one back.
Like their neighbours, Dragons II have also started the season with two wins. They beat visitors Magpies III 4-2 thanks to goals from Emma Tabrett, Laura Ward, Hannah Hardy and Maddy Reynolds, who was player of the match along with Marie James.