Norwich City Ladies 2 Luton Town Ladies 3: Garrett at the double but City Ladies end season with defeat
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies closed out their 2017/18 season with a 3-2 defeat at home to Luton Town Ladies.
With neither team able to affect their final league position, the warm conditions looked like they would be a factor.
Both teams were quick off the mark, with each enjoying early opportunities but no reward.
As the teams settled to the conditions, Luton were first to seize advantage when Nicola Henman's long distance strike looped over Eilish Brogan, the Norwich keeper, who made finger contact but couldn't keep the ball out after 13 minutes.
Immediately from the restart Norwich struck back with Chelsea Garrett beat Grace Brooks, the Luton keeper to level the scores thanks to a fine finish.
You may also want to watch:
However, just four minutes later Norwich fell victim to a Luton counter attack that saw Jessica McKay put the visitors ahead.
Norwich make a defensive change on 33 minutes, Laura Thacker on for Luka Goodfield. With whistle looming, a Luton free kick just outside the area saw Zara Carroll strike the bar and Brogan was unable to keep the ball out.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 5 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 6 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 9 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
Norwich took control in the second half, keeping a high line that did leave them vulnerable to counter attacks.
Paige Shorten came on for the injured Sasha Diston and Natasha Snelling for Jodie Drake to give City some fresh legs.
Norwich picked up the pace again and played with renewed determination and got their reward thanks to a blistering goal from Garrett on 81 minutes, her second of the day.
Norwich went searching for an equaliser but it wasn't to be as they just couldn't find another way through.
With the restructuring of the top four tiers of women's football due to be announced, Norwich await what division they will be playing in next season.
Norwich: Brogan, Goodfield (Thacker 18), Moyo, Daviss, Diston (Shorten 58), Moerkerk, Durrant, Drake (Snelling 67), Garrett, Ward, Osborne. Subs not used: Turner, McDonald
Luton: Brooks, Webster, Carter, Tape, Kosky, Carroll, Nixon, Henman, Manning, McKay, Babalola. Subs not used: Fensome, Byron
Referee: Barry Ereira