Haringey Borough Women 3 Norwich City Ladies 4: Garrett nets vital winner for Canaries
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies produced an outstanding performance to defeat Haringey Borough in South East Division One.
With both teams siting at the wrong end of the table, this promised to be a tough fixture and didn't disappoint.
The first 20 minutes was a nervous affair with both sides finding it difficult settle into a rhythm.
Norwich found their stride first and began to press Haringey high up the pitch, putting their defence to the test and going close twice in quick succession. With 35 minutes played Vivian Moyo opened the scoring by beating Cherkish Young, the Haringey keeper.
With the second half underway, it was Haringey's Julia Carruthers who scored next on 54 minutes, but then three minutes after the restart Moyo netted her second of the day from a penetrating run into the box.
You may also want to watch:
The pendulum then swung the other way when Haringey seized on a defensive error to level the scores just two minutes later. Both teams made substitutions on 67 minutes and some 30 seconds later Haringey struck again to take the lead.
Norwich were soon on the attack again and Aimee Durrant, running at the Haringey defence, was brought down in the 18-yard box and awarded a penalty, which Sasha Diston comfortably scored.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 7 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Person dies after being hit by train
With the game's intensity visibly growing minute by minute, Norwich pinned Haringey in their half of the pitch and went close on a couple of occasions before Chelsea Garrett seized on an opportunity to score Norwich's fourth with three minutes of normal time remaining.
However, with nine minutes of extra time to play Norwich needed to manage the game out and did so by continuing to pin Haringey into their half.
With Norwich taking all three points, attention turns to next weekend's home fixture against Actonians Ladies.
Norwich: Brogan, Thacker, Parker (Daviss 67), Diston, Durrant, Drake (Turner 59), Shorten, Moerkerk, Garrett, Snelling, Moyo, Subs not used: None
Haringey: Young, Smith, Christofi, Carruthers, Ayoola, Parker, Peter, Nourrice, Dromgoole, Graham, Eshun (Coutts 67), Subs not used: Gorman, Duggan, Nicholls, Hills
Referee: Stacey Ford