Haringey Borough Women 3 Norwich City Ladies 4: Garrett nets vital winner for Canaries
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies produced an outstanding performance to defeat Haringey Borough in South East Division One.
With both teams siting at the wrong end of the table, this promised to be a tough fixture and didn't disappoint.
The first 20 minutes was a nervous affair with both sides finding it difficult settle into a rhythm.
Norwich found their stride first and began to press Haringey high up the pitch, putting their defence to the test and going close twice in quick succession. With 35 minutes played Vivian Moyo opened the scoring by beating Cherkish Young, the Haringey keeper.
With the second half underway, it was Haringey's Julia Carruthers who scored next on 54 minutes, but then three minutes after the restart Moyo netted her second of the day from a penetrating run into the box.
The pendulum then swung the other way when Haringey seized on a defensive error to level the scores just two minutes later. Both teams made substitutions on 67 minutes and some 30 seconds later Haringey struck again to take the lead.
Norwich were soon on the attack again and Aimee Durrant, running at the Haringey defence, was brought down in the 18-yard box and awarded a penalty, which Sasha Diston comfortably scored.
- 1 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 2 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 5 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 6 Alleged fly-tipper smashed through hedge after being locked inside property grounds
- 7 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 8 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 9 Warning after beach-goers hit with parking fines
- 10 Gamekeeper took own life days after being told he didn't need hospital bed
With the game's intensity visibly growing minute by minute, Norwich pinned Haringey in their half of the pitch and went close on a couple of occasions before Chelsea Garrett seized on an opportunity to score Norwich's fourth with three minutes of normal time remaining.
However, with nine minutes of extra time to play Norwich needed to manage the game out and did so by continuing to pin Haringey into their half.
With Norwich taking all three points, attention turns to next weekend's home fixture against Actonians Ladies.
Norwich: Brogan, Thacker, Parker (Daviss 67), Diston, Durrant, Drake (Turner 59), Shorten, Moerkerk, Garrett, Snelling, Moyo, Subs not used: None
Haringey: Young, Smith, Christofi, Carruthers, Ayoola, Parker, Peter, Nourrice, Dromgoole, Graham, Eshun (Coutts 67), Subs not used: Gorman, Duggan, Nicholls, Hills
Referee: Stacey Ford