Garrett strikes first but City Ladies go down to defeat against Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies fell to defeat at Cambridge United despite taking the lead in the first half.
Norwich played downhill in the first half and were the first to settle as a shot from distance forced a finger-tip save onto the bar by Chloe Crook, the Cambridge keeper.
Norwich, encouraged by this early chance, pinned Cambridge into their half and were rewarded with just seven minutes played, when Chelsea Garrett beats Crook in the Cambridge goal.
At the restart Cambridge regrouped, attacking Norwich, and two minutes later they levelled the scores as Amy Howlett beat Eilish Brogan in the Norwich goal.
During the next 15 minutes possession and chances alternated between the teams.
The tempo increased and during a one-on-one between Cambridge striker Lauren Gibson and Brogan, the Norwich keeper came out on top. However, it came at a cost as the keeper turned her ankle, forcing her to be substituted with Fiona Coombes taking her place.
The deadlock was broken by Cambridge's Lauren Cartwright, who turned in a loose ball from an uncharacteristic defensive error by Norwich, to make it 2-1 to the hosts at half-time.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 4 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 5 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 6 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
- 7 WATCH: Nudist camp saved from field fire by farmers
- 8 Where will be the hottest place in Norfolk this weekend?
- 9 Behind the scenes at Britain's most dilapidated hospital
- 10 Firefighters tackling large fire near country park
With the second half underway, Cambridge started to exert more pressure on Norwich but the visitors stood firm.
Cambridge become increasingly frustrated by the stoic Norwich defence, who were holding firm.
Cambridge's frustration boiled over and Nuala Wayne saw yellow for an infringement on Coombes, the Norwich keeper.
In the final 10 minutes Norwich went all out for the equaliser, but couldn't find the net.
Norwich will now have to regroup and look forward to the home fixture against Milton Keynes Dons Ladies, on Sunday, November 5 at Plantation Park.
Norwich: Brogan (Coombes 23), Daviss, Ward, Diston, Parker, Moerkerk, Turner (Moyo 71), Durrant, Snelling, Broad, Garrett. Subs not used: none.
Cambridge: Crook, Jenkins, Stillinger, Whitehirst, Burt, Bright, Howlett, Crisp, Gibson (Wayne 72), Cartwright, Sarafian. Subs not used: none.
Referee: Jordan Marin