Garrett strikes first but City Ladies go down to defeat against Cambridge
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies fell to defeat at Cambridge United despite taking the lead in the first half.
Norwich played downhill in the first half and were the first to settle as a shot from distance forced a finger-tip save onto the bar by Chloe Crook, the Cambridge keeper.
Norwich, encouraged by this early chance, pinned Cambridge into their half and were rewarded with just seven minutes played, when Chelsea Garrett beats Crook in the Cambridge goal.
At the restart Cambridge regrouped, attacking Norwich, and two minutes later they levelled the scores as Amy Howlett beat Eilish Brogan in the Norwich goal.
During the next 15 minutes possession and chances alternated between the teams.
You may also want to watch:
The tempo increased and during a one-on-one between Cambridge striker Lauren Gibson and Brogan, the Norwich keeper came out on top. However, it came at a cost as the keeper turned her ankle, forcing her to be substituted with Fiona Coombes taking her place.
The deadlock was broken by Cambridge's Lauren Cartwright, who turned in a loose ball from an uncharacteristic defensive error by Norwich, to make it 2-1 to the hosts at half-time.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
With the second half underway, Cambridge started to exert more pressure on Norwich but the visitors stood firm.
Cambridge become increasingly frustrated by the stoic Norwich defence, who were holding firm.
Cambridge's frustration boiled over and Nuala Wayne saw yellow for an infringement on Coombes, the Norwich keeper.
In the final 10 minutes Norwich went all out for the equaliser, but couldn't find the net.
Norwich will now have to regroup and look forward to the home fixture against Milton Keynes Dons Ladies, on Sunday, November 5 at Plantation Park.
Norwich: Brogan (Coombes 23), Daviss, Ward, Diston, Parker, Moerkerk, Turner (Moyo 71), Durrant, Snelling, Broad, Garrett. Subs not used: none.
Cambridge: Crook, Jenkins, Stillinger, Whitehirst, Burt, Bright, Howlett, Crisp, Gibson (Wayne 72), Cartwright, Sarafian. Subs not used: none.
Referee: Jordan Marin