Norwich City Ladies bow out of FA Cup despite brave Cambridge display
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies bowed out of the SSE Women's FA Cup at the third qualifying round stage after defeat to Cambridge United Ladies.
Cambridge played up the slope in the first half and with six minutes played Lauren Gibson latched onto a loose ball to round Norwich goalkeeper, Eilish Brogan, and score.
Unperturbed, Norwich attacked from the restart only to be denied by Shayla Burgess, the Cambridge keeper.
Norwich gradually started to make an impression in the game and had chances to equalise before half-time but at the break it was Gibson's goal that separated the two sides.
With the second half underway Cambridge played down the slope and continued to take the game to Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
On 54 minutes Norwich were forced into an early substitution, Natasha Snelling had to leave the field to be replaced by Charlotte Broad.
As the game continued a second looked on the cards for Cambridge, but Brogan pulled off two outstanding saves to keep the score at one.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Cambridge continued to apply pressure and Norwich continued to threaten on the counter attack, but Cambridge eventually gained a second when Gibson beat Grace Parker and fired one across Brogan in the Norwich goal.
Shortly after Carolyn Sarafian made it three when she turned in a loose ball after a goal line clearance from a Cambridge corner.
Norwich made a second substitution and changed formation before the restart, Vivian Moyo coming on for Summer Ward. Cambridge then made a double substitution on 71 minutes, Faith Hewitt for Amy Howlett and Nuala Wayne for Lauren Cartwright.
A further forced substitution for Norwich saw Moyo leave the pitch, Fiona Coombes taking her place on 85 minutes.
In the final stages Cambridge scored again when Nula Wayne headed past Brogan to make it 4-0.
The Canaries will be looking to bounce back from defeat when they take in Ipswich tomorrow in the league.
Norwich: Brogan, Goodfield, Ward (Moyo 61 (Coombes 85), Everson, Parker, Moerkerk, Diston, McDonald, Daviss, Snelling (Broad 54), Garrett, Subs not used: none
Referee: Chris Abbott