Norwich City Ladies find the going tough at leaders AFC Wimbledon
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies suffered an 8-2 reverse at FA Women's Premier League South East Division One leaders AFC Wimbledon.
The visitors got off to a poor star – with the game barely underway Wimbledon scored, profiting from a chested deflection and then unfortunate own goal. And they doubled the advantage two minutes later when Laura Quinn-Low chipped keeper Eilish Brogan.
Unperturbed, Norwich dug in and enjoyed a decent spell of possession, mounting two raids on Wimbledon's goal.
Now having to counter-attack, Wimbledon broke out of their area and were denied by the outstretched hand of Brogan, who tipped a long-range shot over the bar. On 16 minutes Wimbledon made it 3-0 when Becky Sargent headed home a corner.
Norwich clawed a goal back on the counter-attack in the 25th minute, Aimee Durrant beating Holly Wright with a well-struck shot across goal.
But Wimbledon come straight back with a fourth, Katie Stanley finding the net to lead 4-1 at half-time.
With the second half underway, Norwich were patient in possession as they built attacks, but on 53 minutes scored their fifth of the game as Quinn-Low grabbed her second of the day.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 4 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 8 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
But Norwich now got the bit between their teeth and mounted a series of attacks on the Wimbledon goal and, playing out from the back, seized an opportunity as Durrant's cross was met first time by Jodie Drake, who fired home from 20 yards.
Wimbledon piled on the pressure and were rewarded with two goals – Caroline Bisson on 64 minutes and Stanley five minutes later. Norwich threw everything into attack, but Wimbledon had the final say, with a goal in the 87th minute.
Norwich are away to Enfield Town Ladies on Sunday.
Norwich: Brogan, McDonald, Parker, Diston, Thacker, Durrant, Daviss, Drake, Garrett (Turner 82), Snelling, Love (Moyo 65),
AFC Wimbledon: Wright, Wylie, Hoesli-Atkins, Trimnel, Billingham (Wentworth 70), McLaren-Johnson, Sargent (Measures 74), Searle, Heasman, Quinn –Low (Bisson 61), Stanley, Subs not used: Salgado
Ref: Stephen Earl. Att: 75