Norwich City hit with fresh FA charge

Norwich City were tonight charged by the FA with failing to control their players following a stoppage time melee in Tuesday's feisty 4-2 Championship win over Sheffield United at Carrow Road.

The Canaries and United have until January 5 to respond to a charge of mass confrontation after both sets of outfield players became embroiled in the incident that resulted in a straight red card for Blades' midfielder Stephen Quinn.

The Republic of Ireland international was dismissed by referee Phil Crossley following the ugly flashpoint in front of the Jarrold Stand shortly after Wes Hoolahan had secured the points for Paul Lambert's side by completing his second-half hat-trick.

Both assistant referees were forced to enter the field of play to help restore order in a skirmish that saw Norwich defender Russell Martin end up on the ground.

Quinn and Martin continued their verbal exchange as the Irishman headed for the tunnel in match which saw Crossley produce four yellow cards and two penalties in addition to the sending off.

United's Andy Reid – who opened the high-scoring game with a clinical first half free kick – has also been hit with a separate violent conduct charge for an unspecified incident arising from Tuesday's game. Reid has until 6pm Friday to reply to the charge. Under the FA's fast-track regulations he may admit the offence and accept a standard three match suspension.

The South Yorkshire club, along with Hull City, face another charge relating to a mass confrontation during their Boxing Day fixture at Bramall Lane which saw Tigers' midfielder Jimmy Bullard snatch a stoppage time winner after Ched Evans' brace had cancelled out Hull's 2-0 first half lead.

Most Read

Norwich's latest brush with the FA's disciplinary panel comes in the wake of central defender Leon Barnett's two game ban for improper conduct following an incident in the aftermath of his sending off in the Championship fixture earlier this month against Portsmouth at Carrow Road.

Barnett missed the Sheffield United game and completes his ban against QPR this coming weekend for admitting a charge relating to a ball-throwing incident involving the match official after his late sending off.