Norwich City have got a Premier League player in James Maddison, says Canaries old boy
- Credit: PA
Former Norwich City goalkeeper Joe Lewis believes the Canaries have got 'a Premier League player' on their hands in James Maddison.
City fan Lewis has been able to see Maddison at close quarters this season at Aberdeen and the Dons keeper has been impressed at the impact of the Canaries youngster.
Maddison's loan spell at Pittodrie comes to an end in January and Lewis hopes a deal can be struck to extend the 19-year-old's stay north of the border.
However, Lewis also concedes that Maddison is capable of aiding City's bid for promotion.
'James is a top player – everyone can see that,' said Lewis, who joined Peterborough from City in 2008 for £400,000.
You may also want to watch:
'He has a fantastic future ahead of him.
'I'm a Norwich fan so it's great for me to see that the club has such a talented player coming through.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
'But from an Aberdeen perspective it's great to be playing with him and Norwich are doing well this season so hopefully they let him stay.
'Can he go on to play for a bigger club than Norwich? I'm the wrong person to ask that question – there's not a bigger club.'
Speaking to the Daily Record, he added: 'He (Maddison) will be a Premier League player, that's for sure. Hopefully it's with Norwich.
'You sometimes see people with great ability but who don't have the mental capacity to deal with playing in top games. But he can handle everything that comes with it. He's calm and level-headed.
'You can give him the ball with a man on him but he'll turn on a sixpence and be away from him.
'He's settled in really well here and has been a fantastic signing.
'Hopefully we can keep him until the end of the season because he has been excellent.'