Norwich City full-back Martin Olsson named best Swedish defender at annual awards
- Credit: PA
The international break has got off to a great start for Norwich City defender Martin Olsson - who has been named the best defender in Swedish football.
Full-back Olsson and Canaries striker Johan Elmander are both with the Sweden squad this week as the Scandinavians prepare for their crunch World Cup play-off clash against Portugal in Lisbon on Friday.
Both of City's Swedish internationals will be hoping to play a part in the two-legged qualifying match, with the second leg in Solna on Tuesday.
Olsson goes into the game on a high though, after claiming his award at the Fotbollsgalan 2013 awards ceremony in Stockholm on Monday night.
It was star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic who, as usual, stole the show. The Paris Saint-Germain superstar claimed the overall Golden Ball award, for the eight time in his career, and the best male forward award.
You may also want to watch:
City left-back Olsson won the best male defender, ahead of West Brom centre-back Jonas Olsson and Per Nilsson, who plays for Nürnberg in Germany's Bundesliga.
The 25-year-old, who has been capped 20 times by his country and scored five goals, was presented his award alongside the best female defender, Nilla Fischer of Wolfsburg, by Swedish model Caroline Winberg and actor Anders Jansson.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp