From Mousehold to Colney via Trowse – a look at some Norwich City pre-season work over the years
- Credit: Archant
It's that time of the year, when memories of summer in Dubai, or Vegas or Mykonos fade away ... and the dreaded return to the training fields becomes a reality.
Norwich City players have returned to Colney this week, the first job being the tests which determine what sort of physical nick they are in – and whether they have spent their few weeks off guzzling Retsina or taking care of themselves.
It is a path well-trodden by players over the years. City fans – and players – of a certain vintage will never forget the Ron Saunders era where the disciplinarian put his players through their paces by running them up and down Mousehold Heath.
'Pre-season, the amount of work was amazing,' said Dave Stringer in volume two of Mick Dennis' Tales from the City. 'For example we would probably do 100 exercises on our legs only, going around the outside of the pitch. We would jump over sticks while carrying weights, that sort of thing.'
It may be different in 2018 – but it will still be tough.
- 1 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 2 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 3 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 4 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 5 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 6 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 7 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 8 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today