Norwich City eye up Premier League quality in striker loan search
- Credit: PA
Alex Neil revealed he has looked at Premier League striking recruits to try and boost Norwich City's Championship push after pouring cold water on a loan move for Blackburn's Jordan Rhodes.
City had been touted with a move for the proflific striker following Lewis Grabban's recent ankle surgery. Luciano Becchio is not in Neil's first team plans, leaving Cameron Jerome and Gary Hooper to carry the attacking burden in Saturday's title showdown against Derby County at Carrow Road.
'Yes, I think it would be fair to say if we could add another striker it would help, but it's not easy,' said Neil, with the emergency loan window set to close on March 26. 'There are limited places you can go to get one. No-one in the top flight, certainly in the bottom 10, is going to let their strikers out because the one thing you tend to find with those teams is they lack goals so they want to keep hold of them. The guys at the top end, whether they want to come here is another story if they are going for the ultimate prizes.
'We are in a tough situation in the sense how many are out there and available that are better than what we have here and will add something different? We have a real strong squad this level.
'Jordan is one of many we have had a look at. I think it has been over-stated in the media how big our interest is. He is just another name that has been flung about, the same as other clubs. It has been made more of than it actually is.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing