Norwich City defender Martin Olsson set for shoulder surgery
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City left-back Martin Olsson is poised to undergo shoulder surgery later this week which will rule him out of Sweden's Euro2016 qualifier against Montenegro next month and a friendly against Norway.
Swedish national boss Erik Hamren confirmed yesterday Olsson had been left out of his squad in order to have an operation on the long-standing problem which had troubled the left-back over recent weeks.
Olsson made 47 appearances for the Canaries this season and played a pivotal role in the club's Championship play-off success at Wembley on Monday in the 2-0 win against Middlesbrough, but Hamren revealed City's medical staff had advised the 27-year-old to have surgery to be fully-fit for City's Premier League return.
'Martin Olsson will have surgery at the end of the week,' Hamren said. 'He has had problems with the shoulder for a long time and requires surgery. The club wants him to do it as fast as possible and we think it is a good idea.'
Olsson appeared to be struggling with his shoulder in Norwich's 3-1 Championship win against Nottingham Forest back in March, when he required treatment during the warm-up and in the opening period, and City chief Alex Neil admitted the club would have to monitor the injury.
You may also want to watch:
'If it is a problem that is going to stop him playing or it is sore then obviously that is something we will need to have a look at,' said the Scot. 'There was a wee issue with his shoulder just before the game but credit to Martin he sort of preserved and got on with it. To be honest I think he was looking for me to take him off but I just sort of turned a blind eye, ignored him, and kidded on I didn't see him.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos