Norwich City confirm Sergi Canos deal
- Credit: JASON DAWSON/JASONPIX
Norwich City have completed their first transfer signing of the summer with Liverpool starlet Sergi Canos completing a Carrow Road for an undisclosed fee.
Canos has signed a four-year contract, with the option of another year, after agreeing terms and passing a medical. The fee is believed to be £2.5m which could rise to £4.5m dependent on a series of add-ons relating to appearances for club, country and promotion.
City's Championship rivals Bristol City also matched the Reds' initial £2.5m valuation but Alex Neil convinced the attacking midfielder to join the Canaries' promotion push.
'From the beginning, Norwich showed very good interest and showed that they believe in me,' Canos told Norwich City TV. 'I'm very excited to be here. Carrow Road impressed me, I've seen videos of it and it looks an amazing atmosphere and I can't wait to play there.'
Alex Neil admits Canos has the perfect pedigree.
'Sergi has a good background having been at Barcelona before moving to Liverpool at a young age,' he said. 'At Brentford last year he did really well. With Nathan Redmond leaving we wanted to replace him with someone exciting; someone who can dribble, can score goals and can provide assists.
'Hopefully Sergi can show everybody how good he can be.'
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 3 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 4 Train travellers set for another weekend of rail disruption
- 5 Woman in serious condition in hospital after crash between two cars and van
- 6 Mum trying to find lost 'heart' of daughter who died days after birthday
- 7 Redundancy leads to Norfolk mum earning up to £3,000 a month
- 8 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 9 Abnormal load to travel through county on first day of Norfolk Show
- 10 North Norfolk glamping site named among best in the UK
The 19-year-old rejected a new Anfield contract after making his Premier League debut on the final day of last season, following a productive loan stint at Brentford where he scored seven goals in 38 league appearances.
Canos could now be involved in Norwich's first public pre-season outing this weekend when they travel to League One Peterborough United prior to flying out to Austria for a week-long training camp.
Paddy Davitt's verdict
Sergi Canos is another young man with a burgeoning reputation, in the same mould as James Maddison, who was snatched from the clutches of Liverpool and Tottenham during the promising early stages of his career at Coventry City.
Canos has the pedigree and also a season of Championship combat on his CV already after scoring seven goals in 38 appearances during an extended loan stint at Brentford last season.
Neil proved during his time at Hamilton, in the manner he cultivated the development of James McCarthy and James McArthur, here is a coach who not only can identify young talent but nourish it.
The balancing act is to marry an admirable willingness to evolve the squad with a thirst for accumulating points.