Norwich City confirm Gary O’Neil signing
- Credit: PA
Gary O'Neil has been confirmed as Norwich City's third summer signing.
O'Neil agreed a two-year deal which was officially announced on Tuesday afternoon following his release from Championship play-off winners QPR earlier this summer.
The experienced midfielder had trained with Neil Adams' squad last week and watched both Carrow Road home friendlies against OGC Nice and Celta Vigo.
The ex-Portsmouth and Middlesbrough man joins Lewis Grabban and Kyle Lafferty as new faces for the Championship season which begins at Wolves on Sunday, but the 31-year-old is suspended for the trip to Molineux after his sending off in QPR's Championship play-off final win against Derby at Wembley.
'I'm really pleased. I trained with the lads this morning and I'm just ready to get going now,' he said. 'It's a good club that has still got loads of good players, so hopefully we'll have a good year. They're keen to get back to the Premier League, they have fantastic support and everyone I've spoken to has said what a great club it is and what a great area it is to live. I'll get to Wolves to watch the lads and it's important that we hit the ground running.'
City boss Adams is delighted to add O'Neil to his midfield mix.
'Gary's a very experienced player. He's featured in the Premier League and Championship all his career and he can play in a number of roles through the midfield,' he told the club's official site. 'He was with QPR when they achieved promotion to the Premier League, so he's the precisely the sort of player needed. The other players have been really impressed with how he's applied himself in the three or four training sessions he's had with us so far.'
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after serious crash
- 2 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 3 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 5 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 6 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 9 'Great relief' as vets rule out foot and mouth disease at Norfolk farm
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth