Norwich City assistant boss Alan Irvine touted with Rangers job
- Credit: Jason Dawson
Alan Irvine has emerged as a leading contender to take over at Glasgow giants Rangers.
The Canaries' assistant manager is reportedly on a shortlist to replace Mark Warburton, who left the Ibrox club recently in controversial circumstances along with his deputy David Weir.
Glaswegian Irvine joined Alex Neil's backroom staff at Carrow Road ahead of the current Championship season after replacing Gary Holt.
The Daily Express report Rangers' top brass are scheduled to hold talks in London on Tuesday with potential candidates, with former Rangers' boss Alex McLeish still the bookmakers' favourite.
Alan Pardew, Aberdeen chief Derek McInnes and Billy Davies have all been linked with the Gers' vacancy. The 58-year-old Irvine had a brief managerial stint in the Premier League at West Brom in 2014 after forging his coaching reputation in Everton's youth set-up. Rangers are also believed to be keen to appoint a director of football as they look to reel in second-placed Aberdeen, who are six points clear of the Glasgow club, with both well behind runaway leaders Celtic.
You may also want to watch:
City's former academy coach Graeme Murty has been in temporary charge of Rangers for the past two games but the Gers slipped further off the pace in the Scottish Premier League at the weekend with a 2-1 defeat at Dundee United.
Murty joined Rangers last summer as a development coach and was placed in interim charge earlier this month following the sudden departure of Warburton.
- 1 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 5 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 6 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 7 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 8 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 10 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines