Norwich City allow Gary Hooper to join Sheffield Wednesday on loan
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Sheffield Wednesday have signed Norwich City striker Gary Hooper on loan until the middle of January.
The former Celtic and Scunthorpe United goal-scorer has made just two appearances for the Canaries this season, both as a late substitute in Premier League games.
The 27-year-old could even make his debut for the Owls tonight, as he is eligible for their Capital One Cup fourth round clash against Arsenal at Hillsborough.
Hooper has scored 20 goals in 70 games, starting 41 of those matches, since joining City from Celtic in the summer of 2013 for a reported fee of around £5million.
The striker has been recovering from an ankle injury recently and has not played for City since featuring as an 89th-minute substitute in the 3-0 loss at Southampton at the end of August. He was also introduced in the 80th minute of the opening-day 3-1 home loss to Crystal Palace.
The former Grays Athletic and Southend front-man signed a three-year deal when he joined City so his deal is to due to expire next summer.
Prolific spells at Scunthorpe and Celtic leave Hooper with 177 goals from 311 senior starts but he never truly tied down a starting place with Norwich.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 3 Flood alerts pass off peacefully along the north Norfolk coast
- 4 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 5 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 6 'Not our problem' - Tyre mountain boss exports 350 tonnes of rubber 'I know not where'
- 7 Cromer Carnival events cancelled due to extreme heat.
- 8 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 9 Woman 'shocked' to find CCTV in Marina Centre changing room
- 10 Highway obstruction closes part of A1151 near Wroxham
Six goals in 32 top-flight games in the 2013/14 season saw the former Tottenham trainee stay with City after relegation to the Championship, where 12 goals in 32 games helped City to gain promotion via the play-offs.
Hooper joins Canaries team-mate Michael Turner on loan with the Owls, who are currently ninth in the Championship and on a seven-match unbeaten run.
City are at Everton in the Capital One Cup tonight, follow all the action with live updates from the game.