Norwich City 4, Ipswich Town 1

Skipper Grant Holt's hat-trick inspired Norwich City to a stunning East Anglian derby victory over Ipswich Town in front of a Carrow Road full house.

Holt struck twice in the first half as the Canaries secured a 2-1 interval lead and he completed his treble before substitute Wes Hoolahan wrapped up victory with goal number four.

It was a memorable 90 minutes for City fans against their biggest rivals with Holt's hat-trick the first by a Norwich player in the derby since Hugh Curran scored three times in a 4-2 League Cup win at Portman Road in 1968.

While Paul Lambert's team rose to the occasion in style in the televised fixture, it was a miserable afternoon for Town and manager Roy Keane as they suffered a fourth successive defeat and were reduced to 10 men by the sending-off of goalscorer Damien Delaney before half-time with the score at 2-1.

Holt gave City the lead in the 13th minute when he cashed in on an error by Darren O'Dea to score with a cool finish.

Delaney levelled with a header from a free-kick after 28 minutes, but Holt restored the Canaries' lead seven minutes later from debutant Henri Lansbury's pass.

Ipswich were reduced to 10 men two minutes later when goalscorer Delaney brought down Holt.

Most Read

It stayed that way until City struck twice in the space of two minutes in the second half, with Lansbury and Chris Martin involved in the build-up both times.

Holt completed his hat-trick after 76 minutes, drilling a low shot home from Martin's pass, and substitute Wes Hoolahan produced a delicate finish from another Martin pass.

The crowd of 26,532 was an all-seater record for Carrow Road and the biggest home gate since 1984, when 26,811 watched an FA Cup fourth round replay against Tottenham.

Manager Paul Lambert was watching from the directors' box at the start of a two-match touchline ban.

Midfielder Lansbury, on loan from Arsenal, made his City debut as the only change from the side that started the 1-1 draw against Leeds eight days earlier.

Lansbury replaced Anthony McNamee, while Korey Smith recovered from the ankle injury that forced him to miss the Leeds game but had to settle for a place on the bench, as did Wes Hoolahan for the third match in a row.

Ipswich boss Roy Keane included new loan signing Gianni Zuiverloon, from West Bromwich Albion, at right-back and had another loan recruit, Plymouth striker Rory Fallon, among the substitutes.

Martin Fulop returned in goal for Brian Murphy after being left out for the trip to Hull, where Town were beaten 1-0.

Fulop was called into action in the opening minute when Delaney's attempted backheader forced him to dash from his line to foil Surman.

Town hit back and Leadbitter's low drive fizzed through to Ruddy with the aid of a slight deflection.

There were angry scenes in the fourth minute after a foul by Holt on Colback led to a scrap involving players from both sides. Once things had calmed down there were yellow cards for Holt and Leadbitter, while Town captain Norris was also called over by referee Hill.

Lansbury's first attempt to get in a cross for City was s;liced badly into touch, then Zuiverloon did the same at the opposite end.

The Canaries had the best opening yet in the ninth minute when Lansbury's pass found Chris Martin and Surman converging on the same ball and Zuiverloon appeared to clip Surman's heel as he went down.

The referee was unmoved and Surman and Fulop both needed treatment before play resumed.

A timely challenge by Fox gave Town the first corner, Fox heading clear from the kick by Edwards and starting the move that gave City the lead in the 13th minute.

Form Lappin's long ball forward, O'Dea made a complete hash of controlling under pressure from Holt, who took possession before beating Fulop with a cool finish for his seventh goal of the season.

Ruddy did well to keep out a cross from Priskin as Town hit back, while Surman continued to be treated on the halfway line.

Holt flashed a header wide as the frantic pace continued and, at the other end, Ward and Russell Martin made important blocks after a good run by Scotland took him deep into Norwich territory.

Town looked nervy at the back and a pass by Tommy Smith almost put Delaney in trouble.

Scotland created enough space for a shot but it was poorly struck and straight at Ruddy.

Midway through the half, Lansbury curled a left-foot shot just over after playing a one-two with Surman.

City forced their first corner when Tommy Smith beat Chris Martin to Holt's cross and the flag-kick almost produced a second goal. Holt met Fox's kick with a low volley that appeared to strike Chris Martin, Crofts connecting with the rebound but Fulop grabbing the ball on the line as it looped goalwards.

There was a warning for City as Priskin got above Barnett to head just over from Leadbitter's free-kick.

A replica free-kick produced Town's equaliser in the 28th minute as Priskin outjumped Barnett again and his header was already on its way in before Delaney headed home from almost on the goalline.

City were back in front 10 minutes before the break when skipper Holt struck again. A superb ball from Lansbury left Holt through on Fulop and he finished with style, tucking his shot under Fulop.

Town were down to 10 men two minutes later when goalscorer Delaney was given his marching orders.

Crofts hooked the ball forward and as Holt got the better of Delaney and broke, the defender tugged him back, Holt going down and referee Hill reaching for the red card.

There were appeals for a penalty when Holt's volley from a Surman corner struck O'Dea, but the referee was unimpressed.

Another fine ball by Lansbury set Russell Martin up for a cross to the near post that Zuiverloon head to clear for a corner as Holt closed in.

Three minutes before the break, Town made a change by withdrawing one of their strikers, Scotland, and bringing on Healy, who took up the left midfield berth with Colback dropping to left-back.

Lansbury was shown the yellow card as the interval approached, before an additional four minutes were signalled by the fourth official.

A foul by Zuiverloon on Holt gave City a free-kick on the left, but the Ipswich man escaped a booking. Fox's kick was cleared to Lappin, whose volley was blocked.


Five minutes after the break, a neat passing move ended with Fox firing just over the top for City.

Three minutes later, Fox tried again with a left-foot drive from a similar distance but Fulop dived to his right to save.

Zuiverloon had a shot blocked by Barnett as Ipswich broke, but City were generally on top and a cross by Lappin gave Holt another opportunity, with his header saved by Fulop.

Town skipper Norris was booked after 62 minutes for a trip that left Lansbury hobbling.

Two minutes later, City made their first change with Hoolahan sent on for Surman.

Holt headed just wide from Fox's corner as the Canaries continued to hold sway.

It was almost 3-1 in the 67th minute when Fulop made a vital save from Chris Martin. A splendid cross by Russell Martin fell to Chris Martin at the far post, but Fulop managed to smother the striker's shot as he tried to slip the ball past him.

With just over 20 minutes left, Ipswich threw striker Fallon into the fray and withdrew Zuiverloon.

Lansbury was just off target with a snapshot from the edge of the area after Ward had nodded back a free-kick by Fox.

City's domination was finally rewarded in the 76th minute when Holt completed his hat-trick.

Lansbury's cross was neatly controlled by Hoolahan and in turn by Chris Martin, who slipped the ball sideways for Holt to blast home.

It was 4-1 two minutes later as Carrow Road went into carnival mood.

Lansbury's diagonal cross was touched back by Chris Martin to Hoolahan, who kept his cool to chip the ball deftly over Fulop.

There was a double change as Korey Smith replaced Lansbury for City and Priskin was replaced by Brown for Town.

Ruddy did well to block a close-range effort from Colback as Town looked for a consolation goal.

There were appeals for a penalty in the final minute when Edwards appeared to shove substitute Jackson, on for Holt in the closing minutes, but Jackson was instead booked for diving.