Norwich City 4, Burnley 1

Norwich City at last gave their supporters some FA Cup cheer as they cruised into the fourth round of the competition with a comfortable victory over Championship side Burnley.

A crowd of nearly 23,000 at Carrow Road saw the Canaries progress with two goals in each half in their third round tie against the Clarets. They could even afford a first-half penalty miss by skipper Grant Holt.

City started with a bang and were 2-0 up inside 12 minutes as Holt headed home from Wes Hoolahan's cross and Simeon Jackson did likewise from an Adam Drury centre.

But Burnley reduced the arrears within three minutes when Jay Rodriguez beat goalkeeper Declan Rudd with a header from Ross Wallace's free-kick.

Holt should have made it 3-1 on the half-hour but shot wide from the penalty spot after Charlie Austin had handled.

It was Andrew Surman, instead, who restored the Canaries' two-goal advantage on the hour with a cool finish, then Steve Morison made it 4-1 in the 73rd minute after fellow substitute Aaron Wilbraham's shot had been parried by goalkeeper Lee Grant.

It was City's first FA Cup home victory since 2007 and it is only the third time in 15 seasons they have reached round four, so they can now look forward to Sunday's draw.

Most Read

City boss Paul Lambert made five changes from the team that started Monday's Premier League game at Queens Park Rangers.

Rudd was given a rare outing in goal with Jed Steer named substitute 'keeper, while Andrew Crofts, David Fox, Surman and Hoolahan returned as the midfield quartet.

Bradley Johnson, Elliott Bennett and Simon Lappin were relegated to the bench, while senior goalkeeper John Ruddy and Loftus Road goalscorer Anthony Pilkington did not feature in the 18.

The City starting eleven featured 10 players involved in the Championship last season, with Daniel Ayala the only summer recruit in the eleven.

Burnley showed two changes to the team that lost 2-1 at Leeds on Monday, with Junior Stanislas and the suspended Keiran Trippier replaced by Andre Amougou and Martin Paterson, who scored twice in the Championship fixture at Carrow Road last season.

Rudd was forced into his first save in only the second minute as Austin let fly from outside the area and the 'keeper beat the shot away.

A minute later, he had to dive to his right to keep out another fine effort from Rodriguez, and appeared to let the ball slip behind the line for a corner, though it was not given.

City went very close to taking the lead in the fourth minute when Surman played a one-two with Russell Martin and his shot was diverted wide off a defender.

But the home crowd did not have long to wait for the opening goal as Holt obliged with his seventh of the season.

With less than five minutes gone, Hoolahan crossed from the left and Holt jumped unmarked to plant a header past Grant.

Drury almost reached the top tier of the River End stand with a first-time shot after Surman's corner was cleared into his path.

Ayala made an important clearance from a low cross by Rodriguez as Burnley looked for an equaliser.

City made it 2-0 in the 12th minute when Jackson scored his third of the season, another fairly simple header. Drury provided the cross this time from the left and Jackson rose unchallenged to power a header home.

But Burnley reduced the arrears inside three minutes, however, when Rodriguez headed his 13th goal of the season.

A free-kick was awarded against Drury on the Burnley right and Wallace floated the ball in for Rodriguez to score with a fine header, directed just out of reach of Rudd as the 'keeper dived to his left.

Fox fired high and wide after another Surman corner was cleared, and with just 20 minutes gone, there had certainly been no shortage of attempts on goal.

Hoolahan brought Grant into action with a curling left-foot shot but the 'keeper was right behind it.

The Canaries were awarded a penalty on the half-hour when Austin blocked a cross-shot from Crofts, and referee Jones adjudged it to be handball, but the chance was spurned by Holt, who rolled his shot past Grant's right-hand post.

It was the first time Holt had missed from the spot for the Canaries and, at the other end, Rodriguez tested Rudd again from long range as Burnley, encouraged by that penalty miss, looked for an equaliser.

City's one-goal advantage was far from secure and three minutes before the interval, Ayala did splendidly to stop Austin getting on the end of a cross from Edgar at the near post.

• Half-time: Norwich City 2, Burnley 1

Five minutes after the break there was a problem for Burnley when Wallace and Mee collided and Wallace came off worse, needing treatment before hobbling to the technical area for further attention.

Fox fired wide from a Hoolahan pass as City threatened for the first time since the break, then the visitors made a change as Bartley replaced the injured Wallace.

There was a remarkable escape for Burnley in the 54th minute when Hoolahan's crisp effort was brilliantly kept out by a one-handed save by Grant, but Holt, following up, struck the post and Jackson somehow managed to put the rebound wide with the goal gaping in front of him.

A foul by Ayala on McCann gave Burnley a free-kick wide on the left, but Rudd comfortably gathered McCann's ball into the six-yard box.

It was 3-1 on the hour, however, thanks to a splendid finish from Surman.

Drury supplied the through-ball which Jackson managed to touch on into the path of Surman – Jackson appearing to be fouled in the process – and the midfielder coolly tucked the ball past Grant for his second goal of the season.

With just under 20 minutes to go, Lambert made a double change up front with Morison and Wilbraham replacing Jackson and Holt, while Burnley replaced Austin with Stanislas.

Norwich's change paid immediate dividends as Morison scored his eighth goal of the season with a simple tap-in.

Drury set up Wilbraham for a neat shot on the turn that Grant managed to parry, but Morison knocked in the rebound.

Burnley made their final change with 15 minutes to go as MacDonald replaced Amougou.

City's final change came when Bennett was sent on for Hoolahan, who left the field to a great ovation.

Rudd saved from Stanislas as Burnley made a rare foray into Norwich territory but Whitbread needed attention after tackling the substitute and the City defender was in fact booked for the challenge.

Ayala was booked for a foul six minutes from time, but Stanislas fired the resulting free-kick well wide.

• Result: Norwich City 4, Burnley 1

• Norwich City: Rudd; Russell Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Drury; Fox; Crofts, Surman; Hoolahan (Bennett, 77); Simeon Jackson (Morison, 71), Holt (Wilbraham, 71). Subs (not used): Steer, Barnett, Bradley Johnson, Lappin.

• Burnley: Grant; Edgar, Amougou (MacDonald, 75), Mee, Easton; Marney; Wallace (Bartley, 52), McCann, Rodriguez; Austin (Stanislas, 72), Paterson. Subs (not used): Stewart, Hines, Treacy, Joe Jackson.

• Referee: Mike Jones (Chester)

• Attendance: 22,898

• Goals: City: Holt (5), Jackson (12), Surman (60), Morison (73). Burnley: Rodriguez (15)

• Bookings: City: Whitbread (79), Ayala (84)