‘Best home performance of the season’ – City fans savour wonder goal from Murphy during fine win over Villa
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The excellent performance of Josh Murphy was the main topic of conversation for Norwich City supporters following today's surprise 3-1 victory over Aston Villa.
Murphy scored a stunning 25-yard opener just before the break to send Carrow Road into raptures and give the Canaries a lead they deserved after just about edging their opponents in the first half.
Murphy then teed up Harrison Reed to cross and allow Dennis Srbeny to score his first City goal, squeezing a close-range shot home in the 53rd minute.
Jack Grealish kept Villa in the game with a low shot from the edge of the box in the 68th minute before Murphy set up James Maddison to complete the success five minutes later.
The early afternoon win moved Daniel Farke's team up to 12th in the table and neither Ipswich or Leeds were able to climb back above them, Town losing 1-0 at Brentford and Leeds held to a 1-1 draw at home by Sunderland.
You may also want to watch:
It is bottom-of-the-table Sunderland up next for Norwich, in a long away trip on Tuesday night.
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 3 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive
- 4 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 5 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 6 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 7 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 8 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Welcome to our new website
- 10 PE teacher banned after getting drunk and showing her breasts at school prom