Norwich City 2, Barnsley 1

Chris Martin's first Championship goal of the season gave Norwich City victory as they came from behind to beat Barnsley at Carrow Road.

Martin produced a splendid finish 10 minutes from time to complete a late comeback by Paul Lambert's men, who trailed at the interval and struggled for much of the second half.

There was bad news on the injury front, however, when Lambert confirmed after the match that midfielder Andrew Surman, who missed the game, would be out for two months with a knee injury suffered in training.

It took the introduction of winger Anthony McNamee with less than half an hour to go to turn the game City's way.

Most Read

McNamee's cross was headed into his own net by Barnsley defender Stephen Foster for the equaliser after 70 minutes, while former City defender Jason Shackell, captaining the visitors, was off the field receiving treatment on the instructions of referee Gavin Ward.

Substitute McNamee was also involved in the build-up to Martin's goal 10 minutes later.

Barnsley had not won at Norwich since 1937 but gave themselves a chance of ending that run when Jay McEveley headed home from Kieran Trippier's free-kick in first-half stoppage time.

But in the end the Tykes left Carrow Road empty-handed for the fifth time in a row, though it was not the most convincing 90 minutes from the Canaries.

There were a couple of surprise absentees for City with goalkeeper John Ruddy and Surman missing from the side that drew 1-1 at Nottingham Forest. Ruddy was suffering from a dead leg.

Declan Rudd and Simon Lappin were brought in as replacements, with Jed Steer and Stephen Hughes included among the substitutes.

Barnsley, managed by ex-Canary striker Mark Robins, were without midfielder Hugo Colace, with Nathan Doyle replacing him.

Former City defender Shackell was named as captain on his return to Carrow Road and was given a round of applause from the home crowd when the teams were announced.

Before kick-off, a moment's applause was held in honour of the late Roy Waller, the former BBC Radio Norfolk commentator after whom the commentary box has now been named.

It was a low-key opening but City were given their first set-piece opportunity after nine minutes when Korey Smith was fouled on the edge of the area by McEveley. Chris Martin fired the free-kick into the wall but the Canaries stayed on the attack and Lappin was just unable to get on the end of a cross by Crofts as he slid in at the far post.

Another promising break ended when Russell Martin overhit his cross from the right after a one-two with Smith.

Excellent work and a fine cross by Lappin almost provided the opening goal but Smith was just unable to connect as the cross whistled over his head.

Chris Martin had another free-kick opportunity bit fired it into the wall and his follow-up effort was deflected wide for a corner, Holt heading over from Lappin's flag-kick.

Barnett headed clear from Hassell's cross in the 18th minute as Barnsley threatened for the first time.

City were guilty of a couple of poor challenges as Ward felled Lovre on halfway, and as Barnsley pushed forward, Lappin caught Arismendi midway into the Norwich half, conceding a free-kick in the process. Referee Ward booked his namesake for the first challenge after playing the advantage at the time.

Barnsley won their first corner in the 22nd minute but as Tripper's kick came across, the referee spotted an infringement.

As City hit back, Chris Martin fired over the top from the corner of the penalty area after Holt nodded the ball down.

Barnett got his head to a free-kick from Lappin but the ball looped up fairly harmlessly for goalkeeper Steele to collect.

City were desperately close to taking the lead after 28 minutes when Holt squeezed a cross in from the left and Smith's close-range effort was well saved by Steele, with Chris Martin just unable to get to the rebound and Hoolahan having his follow-up effort blocked after an almighty scramble in the six-yard box.

Arismendi came off worst after in a 50-50 challenge by Crofts but this time he was able to continue.

Barnsley threatened little but a good challenge by Drury prevented Lovre getting in a shot as he advanced to the edge of the Norwich area.

Shackell rose well at the far post to get in a header from Trippier's free-kick, but it was a comfortable catch for Rudd.

Ninety seconds into stoppage time, Barnsley stunned the Canaries when McEveley scored with a free header from Trippier's free-kick.

• HALF-TIME: Norwich City 0, Barnsley 1

Three minutes after the restart City were guilty of more static defending and could have gone two goals down when McEveley's cross filtered through to Gray, who went down under challenge from Ward, with Hammill firing over from the loose ball when he might have done better.

City were struggling to make any headway since the interval and the game became increasingly scrappy with one or two decisions going against the home side and Barnsley using up as much time as they could whenever there was a stoppage.

Hammill managed to curl in a shot from 20 yards but it was straight at Rudd.

Russell Martin curled a left-foot shot just off target at the other end and, after 63 minutes, Lambert made his first change when McNamee replaced Lappin.

McNamee took up a wide right position, with Smith and Crofts moving across midfield to accommodate him.

Shackell did well to keep Holt at bay as they chased through-ball from Hoolahan but the defender went down in some discomfort afterwards and needed attention.

With 20 minutes left, with Shackell off the field receiving attention for cramp, City drew level with a slice of good fortune when McNamee crossed from the right and Foster inadvertently headed past his own 'keeper via the underside of the bar.

Hoolahan had a shot blocked by Shackell as City looked to strike again, and there was an even better chance with 15 minutes left when McNamee's shot was brilliantly blocked by McEveley after Holt threaded a centre across the six-yard box.

With 12 minutes to go, Lambert made another change with Jackson replacing Hoolahan.

With McNamee creating constant problems on the right, City were now well on top, and they moved ahead in the 80th minute when Chris Martin struck his first league goal of the season.

McNamee's ball found Drury and his touch set up Martin, who curled a delightful right-foot shot out of reach of Steele.

Barnsley made three late changes to try to salvage a point, but seldom threatened to do so.

Hammill was booked for a foul and City substitute Jackson was booked in stoppage time for kicking the ball away. Finally, Barnsley substitute O'Brien was shown the yellow card for dissent.

After the game, Barnsley boss Robins revealed that Shackell played against his old club despite the fact that his wife had gone into labour in Norwich.

Lambert said after the game that Surman had suffered his injury in training on Tuesday, while Ruddy's injury was sustained on Thursday.

• RESULT: Norwich City 2, Barnsley 1