Norwich City 0, West Ham United 0

Norwich City are still looking for their first Premier League win of the season after chalking up a third successive draw in the televised early kick-off at Carrow Road.

The Canaries might have snatched victory against newly-promoted West Ham in the final minute when substitute Harry Kane shot straight at goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, but there were few clear-cut chances in the second half after a lively first period in which both sides had their moments.

The one moment of controversy came late in the first half when Andrew Surman was upended by Hammers defender James Collins, but referee Chris Foy decided the offence was outside the box.

Earlier, the Hammers had gone close through Carlton Cole and Kevin Nolan, but the visitors threatened less in the second period.

City's best effort, until that late chance for Kane, came when Jaaskelainen saved a long-range shot from Simeon Jackson, but the striker was substituted with more than 25 minutes left.

The draw means City go to Newcastle next Sunday with three points from a possible 12 so far.

City manager Chris Hughton named 10 of the same eleven from the 1-1 draw at Tottenham a fortnight earlier.

Most Read

The only change was Andrew Surman's inclusion for Anthony Pilkington, who did not figure in the 18 because of a reported groin strain.

Midfielder David Fox and on-loan striker Harry Kane were named among the substitutes, with Alex Tettey dropping out from the trip to White Hart Lane.

West Ham, without injured on-loan striker Andy Carroll, replaced him with Carlton Cole, the only change from the 3-0 home win over Fulham.

On the bench were midfielder Yossi Benayoun, on loan from Chelsea and starting his second spell with the club, and summer signing Matt Jarvis, the former Wolves winger.

Diame's determination earned the Hammers a corner in the second minute and when Russell Martin headed clear, Snodgrass was caught napping and Nolan flicked a header wide as the ball was played back across the penalty area.

City went close after five minutes when Surman weaved into the West Ham area from Garrido's pass and curled a right-foot shot just wide across the face of goal.

Demel got back to deny Surman another shooting chance with a timely challenge after Jackson's well-weighted pass.

The Hammers almost took the lead on 13 minutes when Vaz Te crossed from the right, Ruddy parried the centre and Cole's goalbound header was poked away by Russell Martin, leaving Taylor to shoot wide with a decent chance.

A foul by Noble gave City a free-kick some five yards outside the area but Snodgrass fired weakly into the wall.

There were shouts for a penalty moments later when Snodgrass worked his way to the byline and found his path blocked by Nolan as he crashed the to ground, but referee Foy did not even consider it obstruction and Nolan gave the Scot some needless abuse as play carried on.

Ruddy kept City on terms after 19 minutes with a fine one-handed save from Nolan after the determined Taylor had forced his way through on the left of the penalty area.

A poor header from Johnson gave Vaz Te the chance to shoot, his effort deflecting wide off Howson, but as City pressed forward they came very close to snatching the lead.

First Snodgrass robbed the dithering O'Brien but failed to pick out Jackson with the cross as Collins cut it out at the expense of a corner. The kick was overhit but City kept pressing and in the space of a few minutes they had four shots on target blocked in a frenzy of goalmouth action, from Snodgrass, Bassong, Holt and Russell Martin, goalkeeper Jaaskelainen distinguishing himself with two fine saves in that sequence.

In the 34th minute, they went close again when Holt sidefooted just wide after Snodgrass had touched back a big kick from Ruddy.

Ruddy saved a low effort from Cole as the action continued to switch from end to end.

There was controversy six minutes before the break when Surman was upended by Collins right on the edge of the West Ham area. Referee Foy adjudged the challenge outside the area but it was mightily close. The official showed the yellow card to Collins in the wall as City lined up the free-kick, which Johnson slammed into the wall, with Garrido shooting over the bar from the rebound.

• Half-time|: Norwich City 0, West Ham United 0

Reid cut out a cross from Surman as City threatened in the opening minute of the second period after a driving run by Johnson.

Jackson earned a corner with a shot that was deflected wide after fine work by Howson, and on 50 minutes Jackson brought a flying save out of Jaaskaleinen with a swerving effort after Bassong showed some deft footwork.

Snodgrass shot just wide on the turn as the Canaries continued their bright start to the half, and Johnson tested Jaaskelainen again from the edge of the area.

West Ham boss Allardyce made two changes in attack after 57 minutes when Maiga and Jarvis replaced Cole and Taylor.

From Nolan's pass, Vaz Te wasted a good chance to cross with the two substitutes waiting in the penalty area, slicing the ball behind for a goal-kick.

As Morison began to get stripped for action, a free-kick from Snodgrass almost supplied the opening goal after 61 minutes when Barnett headed the ball back and fellow defender Bassong's header was grabbed by Jaaskelainen.

Hughton made the first City change on 64 minutes when Morison came on, but it was the unlucky Jackson who was withdrawn, bringing a fair number of boos from the home crowd.

Snodgrass needed treatment after a kick from Nolan and there was some annoyance when West Ham kept attacking while he lay on the ground.

Morison signalled his arrival when he won a header and volleyed just over the top from distance, midway through the half.

There was a second change with just over 20 minutes left as Kane came on for his debut at the expense of Holt.

West Ham, who had threatened little in the second half, were handed a needless opening when Garrido's throw left Bassong short and Vaz Te nipped in and crossed to Jarvis, whose shot was deflected wide.

Jarvis then sent a screaming long-range shot just over the top as a further warning to the hosts.

Barnett was struggling a little after landing on his back in the West Ham area but carried on without treatment.

The chances had dried up for City although Snodgrass managed to connect with Howson's through-ball before a half-hit effort was easily gathered by Jaaskalainen.

Kane showed some neat footwork just outside the Hammers' area but fired a couple of yards wide.

With three minutes left, Benayoun replaced Vaz Te and West Ham won a corner after Nolan's header was deflected wide, Collins heading over from Noble's kick.

In the final minute, City had the chance to clinch three points when they broke from a West Ham free-kick, but as Snodgrass slipped the ball to his left to Kane, the substitute shot tamely at Jaaskelainen.

Snodgrass then had a shot deflected wide from Kane's cross in stoppage time as City finished the game on the attack

• Norwich City: Ruddy; Russell Martin, Barnett, Bassong, Garrido; Snodgrass, Howson, Johnson, Surman; Holt (Kane, 71), Jackson (Morison, 64). Subs (not used): Rudd, Tierney, Turner, Fox, Hoolahan.

• West Ham United: Jaaskelainen; Demel, Collins, Reid, O'Brien; Noble, Diame; Vaz Te (Benayoun, 87), Nolan, Taylor (Jarvis, 57); Cole (Maiga, 57). Subs (not used): Henderson, McCartney, Tomkins, Diarra.

• Referee: Chris Foy (Merseyside)

• Attendance: 26,806

• Bookings: West Ham: Collins (41)