Maddison proves he can mix it with Premier League players during City’s FA Cup draw with Chelsea
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our latest Norwich City player watch followed the fortunes of highly-rated attacker James Maddison during Saturday's 0-0 draw with Premier League giants Chelsea in the FA Cup third round. Here's how his evening unfolded.
4 – Grant Hanley robs Pedro and allows Maddison to charge at goal but David Luiz steps up to block the shot on the edge of the Chelsea box.
5 – Spots Lewis free on the left but gets the pass wrong on his left foot and Antonio Rudiger intercepts.
13 – Some nice inter-play with Pritchard but robbed by Danny Drinkwater and Chelsea counter, finished by Hanley.
26 – Drops deep to take ball from Klose, turns out of trouble and gets Josh Murphy on the attack.
You may also want to watch:
28 – Again frees Murphy on the left, who cuts in and curls a right-footed effort over the bar.
35 – Wonderful control from Lewis's clearance and flick to play Murphy clean through, who gets his shot horribly wrong.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 5 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 6 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 7 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 8 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
40 – Beautiful spin away from Drinkwater brings cheers from the crowd and calmly plays City out of trouble.
41 – Fouled when spinning away from Luiz on halfway, defender is booked. 'He's just too good for you' chant the home supporters.
43 – First corner of the day is poor, too short and Michy Batshuayi clears.
45+1 – Pritchard keeps chance alive, Maddison moves the ball on to his right with a drop of the shoulder but fires a rising shot over the bar from the edge of the box.
51 – Timm Klose robs Willian but Maddison gives it back to Chelsea trying a fancy spin on halfway.
60 – Heels clipped by Drinkwater after linking well with Pritchard. Takes himself but Hanley heads behind at the back post.
Soon after loops a corner across from the left, Klose heads wide but jumped too early.
69 – Free-kick from the right punched by Calballero and Murphy shot deflects wide. Maddison's corner doesn't beat the first man.
70 – Fouls Bakayoko trying to stop Chelsea from clearing the ball.
81 – Flicks a pass to Pritchard and caught late by Bakayoko to win a free-kick, takes quickly with Zimmermann running through but Caballero claims.
Verdict: Plenty of style but unable to pick the lock. Proved he can mix it at the top level but lacked a striker to feed, with his influence waning as Chelsea took control of the second half.
Rating: 7 out of 10