Revealed: Norwich City and Inter Milan legends to meet in prestige Uefa Cup anniversary match
- Credit: Archant
As a prestige fund-raising game against Inter Milan is announced, David Freezer speaks to Canaries legend Bryan Gunn about next year's big game.
It's a facility that will help around 10,000 people in Norfolk every year and, with the help of legends from both Norwich City and Inter Milan, The Nest will be brought to life.
Former Canaries keeper Bryan Gunn has teamed up with ex-Inter number one Francesco Toldo to announce a special Carrow Road fixture to mark the 25th anniversary of City's fondly remembered Uefa Cup run.
Gunn will be joined by fellow former City player-of-the-year winners Darren Huckerby and Adam Drury in the home line-up for the Sunday, May 20 fixture.
Former Italy international Toldo, part of the team which finished runners-up at Euro 2000, has already confirmed Javier Zanetti and Nicola Berti will feature for Inter Forever.
The prestige game (2pm) will raise funds for the Community Sports Foundation. The charity is closely tied to the Canaries and is expanding its community work through sport with the building of The Nest at the former Anglian Windows site off Holt Road, near Norwich Airport.
'I thought it was a great idea, re-living the anniversary of the Norwich-Milan game but also supporting the Community Sports Foundation and helping to get some more funding towards their new project, the Nest,' Gunn said.
'When Francesco Toldo came over he very much bought into the idea quickly as well and I think within days went back to Milan and said 'we need to do this' and here we are, really looking forward to the game next May.'
- 1 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 2 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 3 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 4 Is this Norfolk's quirkiest cafe?
- 5 Investigations continue after stabbing in town park
- 6 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 7 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 8 Norfolk recruiting police officers - but not those with 'offensive' tattoos
- 9 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 10 'The time has come' - Landlord of seaside pub retires after 50 years at helm
Mike Walker's team of 1993-94 ventured into City's first ever European adventure having finished third in the Premiership the previous season. After beating Vitesse Arnhem 3-0 over two legs in the first round of the Uefa Cup, the Canaries famously beat Bayern Munich 3-2 in the second before losing both legs 1-0 to eventual winners Inter.
Gunn, whose son Angus is currently on loan at Norwich from Manchester City, added: 'The criteria for inclusion in the squad is, anyone from the squad from the 1993 Uefa Cup run, Norwich Hall of Fame members from 1993 or later, Norwich City player-of-the-year winners – so I think Grant Holt might be in mind – full internationals and anyone who has made 100 appearances for the club. So there might be a few disappointed candidates out there who don't get a call from me!'
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for under-18s, with hospitality packages available, and are available to season ticket holders and members from 9am today, before going on general sale at 9am on Monday. See canaries.co.uk for further details.