Norfolk Lions make strong start to new season
- Credit: Submitted
The Norfolk Lions development squad have made a strong start to the season.
A seven-wicket win against Lincolnshire in the East Anglian Under-21 competition started the season for the Lions.
Played at Fakenham CC, Lincs made 184-9 in 50 overs, with Kieran Peters taking 2-30 and Will Rogers 2-22. Norfolk then reached their target in just 39 overs, making 185-3, with Freddie Ruffell top scoring with 72.
The Lions then began their defence of the East of England Development competition against Huntingdonshire at St Ives, winning by 12 runs.
Norfolk were all out for 180 in 49.4 overs, with David Turner scoring 78 from 128 balls. Hunts were then restricted to 168-9 in their 50 overs after Adam Todd took 5-23 and Tom Oxley 2-22.
• Norfolk Under-11s continued their perfect start to the season by comfortably seeing off Notts at sunny Stow for their third consecutive victory.
Norfolk posted a strong score of 158-4 in their 40 overs. Black set the tone with a run-a-ball 19 before Tasker (32 not out) shared a partnership of 41 with Fairey (20) and an unbeaten partnership of 72 with captain and man of the match Ben Wilcox (49no).
- 1 Carriageway of A11 closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 2 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 3 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 4 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 6 Norwich Airport TUI flight delayed by 42 hours
- 7 Fire crews called to vehicle blaze on A47
- 8 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 9 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 10 Investigations continuing after man suffers serious injuries in crash
Notts' reply started in dreadful fashion with Wilcox taking a caught-and-bowled in his first over and a Tasker/Wilcox run out in the third over leaving the score 11-2 after just 15 balls.
The visitors then lost wickets regularly with C.Barber's spin tying Notts in knots, eventually finishing with (6-2-16-3). Whilst Wilcox (4-1-13-2) and Fairey (8-1-13-1) were the other wicket takers all the Norfolk bowlers maintained a tight line and a miserly economy rate.
Notts through Purnell (21no) and Owen (13) offered some careful if late resistance but Norfolk won by 66 runs as Notts finished on 92-8.
The U11s next match is away against Suffolk at Sudbourne Hall on June 7, starting at 1pm.