No regrets for Sergi Canos after cutting Norwich City ties
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Sergi Canos insists he is a better player despite his frustrating Norwich City after completing a deadline day move to Brentford.
The teenage Spanish midfielder made 38 appearances for the Bees during a previous loan spell before a move to Carrow Road from parent club Liverpool that failed to work out.
Canos made only six senior appearances for the Canaries, excluding the EFL Trophy campaign, and City boss Alex Neil made it clear he was prepared to listen to offers for the 19-year-old.
The ex-Barcelona youth prospect is looking to kickstart his career again at Griffin Park after signing a four-and-a-half year contract in a reported £2.5m deal.
'It was very good for me to be at Norwich City and experience everything that happened to me,' he said. 'I trained with amazing players and I learned so much. I think I come back to Brentford better than I left. Am I fit and ready to go? Yes, if you want me to play today I can. I feel ready. The last day of the transfer window is always difficult. I feel better now.
You may also want to watch:
'It means a lot to come back here. The fans, the messages on social media, all the support has been great. It helps a lot. For me, it is the most important thing that the fans are with you and they believe in you. That is my motivation. That is why I came here. I hope I will adapt as soon as possible. I think it will take time and I haven't played for six months but the first game I play I will look to score.'
Bees' director of football, Phil Giles, revealed Canos was a top target after his previous loan spell.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 8 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 9 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
'I'm delighted that we've finally managed to bring Sergi to the club permanently,' he told Brentford's official site. 'It is a transfer that, for various reasons, we weren't able to complete last summer after his loan spell here. Everybody knows what Sergi will bring to both the team and the club more widely and I'm sure we'll all look forward to watching him play over the coming seasons.'
Canos' latest debut could come at home to Chris Hughton's Brighton on Sunday.