Neil Adams urges Andrew Surman to sign up to the Norwich City cause
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Neil Adams wants Andrew Surman to swell the growing ranks of his Norwich City squad pledging their futures to the Canaries' cause.
Ryan Bennett and Wes Hoolahan have both signed new longer term deals in recent days and ahead of the Championship opener at Wolves on Sunday, Adams admits Surman is another on his target list.
'It's exactly the same thing. He knows I want him here. He is the type of player we need and he has featured heavily in the pre-season games,' he said. 'He is another one we would love to come on board for the long term. You don't want players who you feel are going to be a part of things running out of contract. I knew all along of course things were in the pipeline with those other lads, but you don't want to be discussing those things because it has to be internal and private.
'Ryan has signed, Wes has signed and that is fantastic news for us going into Wolves and there will be others we are dealing with as well. I have said all along we need to keep as many as we can. Wes is a perfect example how things can turn. We all know what surrounded him in the last transfer window but now he is happy enough to put pen to paper on a new deal. If he wasn't happy here he wouldn't have done that.'
Adams is still targeting fresh recruits to join the likes of Lewis Grabban, Kyle Lafferty and Gary O'Neil, rather than sanction departures, after Anthony Pilkington was linked with a move to Bolton this week.
You may also want to watch:
'I can say there is nothing in that,' he said. 'The difference between enquiries and speculation and firm bids is so far apart. There are 100s of those sort of things. As and when there are bids that are acceptable to us we will follow those up. Of course I would like to bring in more players and we still have 23 days or so left. I have that up on my wall in my office and I tick the days off to the transfer window closing.
'There are plenty of enquiries, in and out, but for every 100 you can expect 99 to come to nothing. I am pleased with Kyle and Lewis and Gary. Those three will add to the squad and that is the philosophy for the final three weeks. To improve what we already have here.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 8 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 9 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 10 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale