Neil Adams has just one wish for Norwich City’s pre-season finale against Celta Vigo
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
No fresh injuries is Neil Adams' priority from Friday's pre-season finale against Spanish side Celta Vigo at Carrow Road (KO 7:45pm).
Jonny Howson was the latest casualty after suffering knee ligament damage in last week's 1-1 draw against SC Bastia that will rule him out of the Championship kick-off at Wolves.
Alex Tettey (groin), Ricky van Wolfswinkel (knee) and Kyle Lafferty (shin) have all sat out the majority of City's pre-season friendly programme and Adams will take no chances against Vigo.
'What do I need from this game? I just need one or two to get fit,' he said. 'These niggling injuries we have had have disrupted us a little bit in pre-season. Of course, every manager in the division wants a fully-fit squad and I am no different. I just want the five or six we've had on the treatment table, and fortunately none of them look like it will be too long, to be available when it really matters but that said you also want them competing for places.'
City smashed five goals past OGC Nice on Monday, with striker Lewis Grabban on the mark in his first home outing since moving from Bournemouth. Adams was also pleased to see his midfielders chip in with the likes of Elliott Bennett, Nathan Redmond, Andrew Surman and Bradley Johnson also on target.
'You bring strikers to the club to score goals, that is an obvious thing to say, but in terms of building a promotion-winning squad you can't rely solely on your strikers to do the business,' he said. 'Unless they are going to bag 30, 35 apiece, which I haven't seen for donkey's years, you have to have contributions from other players. It must be shared across the team and without support and goals from midfield and defence it can put too much pressure on the boys up top. We saw that last season.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?