‘My biggest challenge is going to be handling the expectation around me’ - Norwich City boss Alex Neil on Premier League spotlight
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is ready to handle the Premier League spotlight after guiding Norwich City to the top flight.
The 33-year-old's youth and status as the only Scottish manager now operating in the big league are likely to bring extra attention after his impressive work in plotting the Canaries' Championship exit.
'My biggest challenge is going to be handling the expectation around me,' he said.
'Over the last two years, earning back-to-back promotions, means a lot of people will expect us to do well in the Premier League but it's extremely difficult.
'It will take a hell of a lot of hard work to just compete at that level. The fact I am so young as well will bring a lot of focus, but I do not read a lot into it. I am just here to do as well as I can, and am really determined to make us as good as we can be in the Premier League
'The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League is vast. You can see that, but teams go up and do it.
'I just believe in the messages I am asking them to do. I believe in myself in what I am looking to do, and I believe they can carry it out.
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 3 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 4 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 5 New headteacher appointed at village high school
- 6 Plans for 13 new homes near historic former railway line
- 7 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 8 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 Some of the best pictures from day two of the Royal Norfolk Show
'We have good quality players, who are prepared to work hard, so we can achieve anything. I give them clear guidelines and if they don't do it, they will know, but if they do I know we can get success.'