Moroccan striker announced as Norwich City’s second youth signing of the day
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Norwich City have made a second youth signing of the day, claiming to have beaten a host of European clubs to the signing of Morocco-born striker Gassan Ahadme.
The 18-year-old joins from Spanish amateur side Gimnastic de Manresa, who play in Group Three of the División de Honor Juvenil, the top level of Spanish football's under-18 league system.
Gimnastic compete against youth teams from the likes of Barcelona, Mallorca, Zaragoza and Girona, with Ahadme the league's top scorer last season with 10 goals.
'It's a great feeling because I was playing in a small team in Spain and it's a great thing for me and a new life. I hope it all goes okay,' Ahadme said.
'I was playing in small team called Gimnastic de Manresa. It's not a very famous team. I first heard of Norwich's interest in December. They watched me a few times and then asked me to come on trial.
'I was very happy. When I came on trial here, I did my best and finally got the chance to sign. The trial was good. The weather was slightly different for me because it's much colder here but I really enjoyed it.'
City claim to have beaten off 'competition from a host of other European clubs' and have also confirmed that Ahadme will initially train and play with the under-23 and under-18 squads.
- 1 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 2 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 3 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 4 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 5 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 6 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 7 Woman filmed being raped while she was unconscious, court told
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 10 High Court threat to A47 dualling plan
Speaking to the Canaries' website, Ahadme added: 'It's a really big opportunity for me and I want to enjoy it as much as I can. I have come here to do as best as I can and try and get into the first-team.'
The striker's signing follows hot on the heels of confirmation of the signing of Luton defender Akin Famewo, another who will initially join the club's youth ranks.