Moroccan striker announced as Norwich City’s second youth signing of the day
- Credit: Norwich City FC
Norwich City have made a second youth signing of the day, claiming to have beaten a host of European clubs to the signing of Morocco-born striker Gassan Ahadme.
The 18-year-old joins from Spanish amateur side Gimnastic de Manresa, who play in Group Three of the División de Honor Juvenil, the top level of Spanish football's under-18 league system.
Gimnastic compete against youth teams from the likes of Barcelona, Mallorca, Zaragoza and Girona, with Ahadme the league's top scorer last season with 10 goals.
'It's a great feeling because I was playing in a small team in Spain and it's a great thing for me and a new life. I hope it all goes okay,' Ahadme said.
'I was playing in small team called Gimnastic de Manresa. It's not a very famous team. I first heard of Norwich's interest in December. They watched me a few times and then asked me to come on trial.
You may also want to watch:
'I was very happy. When I came on trial here, I did my best and finally got the chance to sign. The trial was good. The weather was slightly different for me because it's much colder here but I really enjoyed it.'
City claim to have beaten off 'competition from a host of other European clubs' and have also confirmed that Ahadme will initially train and play with the under-23 and under-18 squads.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 2 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 3 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 8 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
Speaking to the Canaries' website, Ahadme added: 'It's a really big opportunity for me and I want to enjoy it as much as I can. I have come here to do as best as I can and try and get into the first-team.'
The striker's signing follows hot on the heels of confirmation of the signing of Luton defender Akin Famewo, another who will initially join the club's youth ranks.