Norwich City the perfect place for Marcus Edwards to grow up - Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino
- Credit: JASONPIX
Marcus Edwards needs to grasp his loan chance at the Canaries, warns Spurs' chief Mauricio Pochettino.
The 19-year-old attacker sealed a short term move until the end of the season earlier this week, after failing to make the first team breakthrough at White Hart Lane.
Edwards has a back problem that rules him out for Saturday's Championship game against Sheffield United, but Pochettino insists the teenager must make his mark in Norfolk.
'Marcus is a very talented player but now he is in a moment where he needs to move on to step up,' said Pochettino, quoted on Football London. 'An opportunity has arrived at a very good club like Norwich and I think you can see – they played against Chelsea and they played very good football.
'I think it's a great opportunity for him to step up, move there and try – in three and a half months – to try to get more mature and to try to compete after spending maybe half his life in Tottenham's academy.
You may also want to watch:
'He now has the possibility to be a man. To be more mature and to help himself to achieve all that we believe he can achieve. It's a process and for us he must be positive.'
Pochettino labelled Edwards as a 'Mini Messi' after watching him at development level, but the youngster picked up an ankle injury following his senior debut in a League Cup tie back 2016 that cut short his meteoric progress through the ranks.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 6 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival