Manchester United striker Rooney set to miss Norwich City clash
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is set to miss next Saturday's Premier League game against Norwich City at Old Trafford.
The England star could be out of action for several weeks after injuring his hamstring in training.
United manager Alex Ferguson confirmed the news after the 1-1 draw at Stoke City on Saturday.
Rooney, 25, who has started the season in outstanding form with nine goals, missed the match when United dropped their first points of the season but stayed top of the Premier League on goal difference from Manchester City.
Ferguson told reporters: 'Rooney's is not a serious injury, but it was enough to keep him out today, and I think maybe for a few weeks.'
You may also want to watch:
If that's the case Rooney will miss United's Champions League match with Basel at Old Trafford on Tuesday and possibly England's Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro on October 7.
Rooney was not the only United player suffering with defender Jonny Evans injuring a foot in the warm-up at Stoke while Mexico striker Javier Hernandez went off early in the game after suffering a dead leg in an early collision with Jonathan Woodgate.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 6 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 7 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival