‘I’ll be working non-stop over the off-season’ – Canaries star Maddison vows to overcome injury setback
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City star James Maddison has vowed to return 'better than ever' after being told his knee ligament injury will prevent him from training for around eight weeks.
Carrow Road staff and Canaries fans feared the England Under-21 international could be ruled out long term after limping off early during City's nightmare 5-1 loss at Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday.
While that was the final game of the Championship season, the playmaker's big-money sale to a Premier League club was expected to be integral to the club's transfer business this summer.
Beyond that it was also terrible news for the club's player-of-the-season winner after a fantastic campaign which brought 15 goals and 11 assists during 49 games in all competitions.
However, with Canaries sporting director Stuart Webber yesterday revealing that the 21-year-old should only miss the first week of pre-season, the situation has calmed.
'So disappointed to pick up an injury on the last game of the season,' Maddison posted on his Instagram account following his injury diagnosis.
You may also want to watch:
'But this small setback won't affect someone who has the mindset that I do. I'll be working non-stop over the off-season to be back better than ever.'
Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal and Leicester are among the many top-flight clubs linked with summer interest in signing the Coventry City academy product, with deal worth in excess of £20million touted in some national newspapers.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash