Luciano Becchio denies wage claims of Leeds United’s Ken Bates
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Luciano Becchio has denied suggestions from outgoing Leeds United chairman Ken Bates his move to Norwich City is earning him £30,000 per week.
Bates' interview with the Yorkshire Evening Post lamented Leeds' ability to keep hold of their top players – with the Canaries alone signing Robert Snodgrass, Jonny Howson, Bradley Johnson and Becchio from Elland Road in recent seasons.
In his eyes, the riches of the Premier League have made it almost impossible for Championship clubs to keep hold of their big names.
'When the Premier League clubs come along – and in particular the riches they offer in terms of a contract – it means clubs in this division simply can't compete,' said Bates. 'Luciano Becchio is a perfect example. Luciano was already the highest paid player at the club but his agent wanted £1.5m a year basic wage. Even the thickest Leeds fan must see we can't afford to pay a player £30,000 per week.
'You only pay that sort of wage if you want to go bust. I don't know what he got at Norwich, in the end, but I'd imagine it was in that region.'
However, Becchio took to Twitter this afternoon saying: 'Is not true, the news about me today in the Evening Post.'
Johnson added: 'Haha, Ken Bates up to his old tricks again...'
- 1 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 2 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 3 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 4 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 5 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 6 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 7 Woman filmed being raped while she was unconscious, court told
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 High Court threat to A47 dualling plan
- 10 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
Becchio is yet to score since joining City in January, making two starts in his six appearances to date.