Loan round-up: Former Norwich City player steals Jacob Murphy’s Coventry glory
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Jacob Murphy saw his glory stolen by a former Norwich City team-mate as his loan side Coventry City were held to a draw at Port Vale.
The 20-year-old winger scored his 10th goal of the season for the Sky Blues, going round Vale keeper Jak Alnwick to slide into an empty net for a 1-0 lead in the 42nd minute. But former Canaries academy player Sam Kelly, released by City last summer, scored his third goal of the season with six minutes remaining to keep Vale within three points of the League One play-off places.
James Maddison also started for Coventry yesterday, in his first match since signing for Norwich on transfer deadline day before rejoining his boyhood club on loan for the rest of the season.
Maddison played 64 minutes before being substituted, as Tony Mowbray's side went a fifth match without a win, leaving them seven points adrift of the automatic promotion places.
Elsewhere in the third tier, on Saturday, Canaries full-back Harry Toffolo made his return from concussion to help Peterborough United win 1-0 at Chesterfield. The 20-year-old played the full game as Posh held on for the win despite having two players sent off in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Jamar Loza missed Southend's 3-0 home win against Colchester with concussion, with Jake Kean not in goal for the U's after his one-month loan expired.
In the Championship, Josh Murphy came off the bench in the 68th minute of MK Dons' 0-0 draw at play-off hopefuls Cardiff City, which keeps the Dons two points clear of the relegation zone.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
In Spain, City striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel claimed an assist as Real Betis beat Valencia 1-0, starting and playing 73 minutes.
Norwich defender Cameron Norman also played the full game for Woking to a 1-0 win over Oxford, to reach the FA Trophy quarter-finals. Norman has recently extended his loan with the National League play-off hopefuls until the end of the season.