Lewis Grabban’s Norwich City spat boosts Ricky van Wolfswinkel’s Premier League bid
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's get tough policy with Lewis Grabban is poised to boost Ricky van Wolfswinkel's Premier League chances, after the striker's suspension for his Rotherham no-show.
City declined to comment officially on Wednesday night on reports Grabban had been punished for his serious breach of club discipline following talks earlier in the day with Alex Neil, as the fallout continued from his absence against the Millers in Tuesday's 2-1 Capital One Cup win just hours after Norwich rejected a third transfer bid from Premier League rivals Bournemouth.
Neil is scheduled to face the media on Thursday afternoon at his pre-match press call for Sunday's Premier League trip to Southampton and van Wolfswinkel now looks set to retain his place in a squad minus Grabban following his goalscoring impact against Rotherham.
Van Wolfswinkel is yet to make a matchday squad during the opening weeks of the Canaries' Premier League return and appeared surplus to requirements under Neil earlier this summer, until the Dutchman's former club Sporting Lisbon pulled out of a proposed deal.
'His attitude in the last month or so since he came back has been excellent and he merited his goal,' said Neil. 'People make a big deal of it but Ricky has scored a lot of goals in countries like Portugal and Holland.
'He moved here for £8.5m and he is a good player, and I thought we saw some of that. The guy deserves a break and if he keeps showing a good attitude and going about his business the right way he is certainly part of my squad.'
Neil insists there will be no hangover from Grabban's actions in Yorkshire, but the Scot issued a stark warning to all his players he will not tolerate any lack of commitment to the cause.
- 1 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 2 Man in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash in north Norfolk
- 3 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 4 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 5 Man admits hiding camera to film 14-year-old girl in shower
- 6 Two Norfolk hotels named among the most romantic in the country
- 7 Much-loved dungaree brand to open one of only three UK stores in Norwich
- 8 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 9 Bid to build five industrial units in Norfolk village
- 10 'Norfolk's Battersea Dogs Home' is full as cost of living crisis bites
'If attitudes aren't right it is not going to be a pleasant place here for players,' he said. 'Whatever happens with any player there have been issues before I came, while I have been here, and will be when I am up the road. It doesn't affect anything, I am not overly concerned and neither are the squad.'
Neil has reiterated Norwich will dictate Grabban's future amid speculation Bournemouth is considering a fourth bid ahead of the September 1 transfer deadline.
'We've flatly rejected the latest offer and if it remains at that level it will continue to be so,' he said. 'Its not necessarily a case of we won't let players out before we bring in new ones. We'll have a look at what crops up and if we feel it is in the best interests of the club then anything is possible.'