Norfolk football star crowned PFA young player-of-the-year
- Credit: PA
Lauren Hemp capped a stunning season by being named the PFA young female player-of-the-year at a glittering awards ceremony in London on Sunday night.
The former North Walsham High School pupil, who started her career with Norwich City Ladies, rubbed shoulders with the likes of Liverpool's Mo Salah and Chelsea Ladies Fran Kirby, who were also recognised at the bash in central London by their fellow professionals.
Norwich City's midfielder James Maddison was nominated for the PFA Championship team-of-the-year, after a breakthrough season at Carrow Road.
Bristol City Women's player Hemp was named England young player-of-the-year in September and the 17-year-old striker saw off hot competition from the Manchester City trio of Ellie Roebuck, Georgia Stanway and Keira Walsh, as well as Chelsea's Erin Cuthbert and Everton Ladies' Gabby George.
The teenager spent seven years in the City Ladies set-up before making the tough decision to move on.
You may also want to watch:
'At 16 I moved from Norwich to Bristol, away from my family and that was hard for me at the start,' said Hemp.
'Even a month before (making the move) I didn't think it was possible and that I'd actually do it because I used to get homesick a lot.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
'But since then I've become more independent. So much has happened to me, things that I wouldn't even have dreamed of.
'I'm loving it at the moment. Everything is going so well for me at Bristol. I hope I can keep that going for the rest of the season.'
Hemp is now a regular in Bristol's starting XI and captained England Under-17 at the Euros in 2017. The teenager is currently part of the England Under-19 set-up.
A statement confirming the success on Bristol's website said: 'The SGS College student has risen through the ranks at City Women and is now a firm fixture in the starting 11.
'The youngster has netted seven times this season in all competitions and many of those goals have been crucial to a lot of City Women's positive results so far in 17/18.
'Everyone at the club would like to congratulate Lauren on this incredible achievement.'