Late equaliser counts for nothing as Norwich City are knocked out of FA Youth Cup
- Credit: Richard Gould/Focus Images Ltd
Doncaster Rovers Youth 3 Norwich City Youth 1
Norwich City bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the first hurdle as opponents Doncaster pulled away in extra-time to secure a hard-fought victory.
The young Canaries had earned themselves a dramatic lifeline at the Keepmoat Stadium when Michee Efete headed in with the 90 minutes almost up.
But Rovers striker Jack McKay then went on to complete his hat-trick to send the 2013 winners packing – and secure his side a trip to Swansea in the fourth round..
Norwich started confidently, with their main threat coming from marauding right back Efete, but they failed to make their early possession count as neither side really worked the opposition goalkeeper.
Rovers grabbed the lead from the spot on 38 minutes after Matthew Davies was tripped in the box. McKay held his nerve and sent City keeper Aston Oxborough the wrong way.
City upped their game after the break and Paul McKay had to make a vital goal line clearance before Todd Cantwell missed a glorious chance and Ben Burgess headed against the bar.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 5 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 6 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 7 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 8 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 9 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?
Then, just when it seemed Rovers had done enough to book their passage, Efete popped up at the back post to head home an 89th minute equaliser.
But Doncaster found another gear in extra-time, McKay taking advantage of some sloppy defending to coolly slot home before sealing his hat trick with a close range finish.