Lambert's signings deadline
Chris LakeyCity boss Paul Lambert says he wants the make-up of his new Championship squad to be settled by the time the Canaries return for pre-season training on July 1.Chris Lakey
City boss Paul Lambert says he wants the make-up of his new Championship squad to be settled by the time the Canaries return for pre-season training on July 1.
That's the working deadline Lambert has pencilled in as he attempts to hit the ground running on August 7, the opening day of the new campaign.
Lambert has already added Brighton midfielder Andrew Crofts, centre-half Elliott Ward and left-back Steven Smith to his ranks, and has held talks with other players as he attempts to get a head start on his opponents.
'We have to,' said Lambert. 'We have to try and get lads in pretty quickly. I want to try and get them in before we come back to pre-season so the new lads have an opportunity to integrate with the current group and we get them all together and get ready.'
You may also want to watch:
The intention then is to take a completed Championship squad to Germany for a private training camp from July 11-18.
'That's the plan, if I can,' added Lambert. 'I know it doesn't always work that way. The club know who I want to try and bring in and we will do everything we can to bring them in. We have identified a few lads to come into the club to give us a hand.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 9 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit
'It's what I have always said, they have to give us a hand - we are going up another level and you have to be ready for it and I will try to do everything I can to get players in.'
The rumour mill is gathering speed, but Lambert is not a man who divulges names - or when he expects the next signing to walk in.
'We have spoken to a few, but it's not just as easy as speaking to a few and they are just going to appear,' he said. 'There is a lot of work to be done and it has been on-going for a while. I am never sure, not until somebody comes in and talks to the club. You need to get them over that line before you're relaxed about it.'
t NORWICH CITY'S FIRST IN
2010: Andrew Crofts - May 21
2009: Matthew Gill - June 10
2008: Sammy Clingan - June 17
2007: Jon Otsemobor - June 13
2006: Lee Croft - July 28
2005: Matthieu Louis-Jean - June 27
2004: Paul Gallacher - June 2
2003: Jim Brennan - July 1
2002: Paul Heckingbottom - July 3
2001: Clint Easton - June 15
2000: Steen Nedergaard - June 8