Josh Murphy joins Wigan on loan, as Ryan Bennett completes 90 minutes for Norwich City Under-21s
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City youngster Josh Murphy has joined Championship strugglers Wigan Athletic on loan – and could make his debut tomorrow night against one of the Canaries' rivals for promotion.
The 20-year-old wideman signed for the Latics for a month just two days after his twin brother Jacob agreed a similar deal with League One outfit Colchester.
Jacob made his first appearance for his temporary employers on Saturday – and Josh could be unleashed against second-placed Watford at the DW Stadium on Wednesday evening as Malky Mackay's men go looking for a long overdue home victory.
Mackay, who also snapped up young Liverpool striker Jerome Sinclair today, is delighted to have acquired the services of a player who has 29 senior Norwich appearances to his name.
'Josh will be another great addition to what is still a small squad here,' he told Wigan's official website.
'He is a great young talent and we thank Norwich for allowing this to happen. Hopefully Josh can make a successful contribution during his time with us and we're delighted to have him on board.'
Academy product Murphy burst on to the first team scene in September 2013 when he scored a cracking goal from the bench as City beat Watford 3-2 at Vicarage Road in the Capital One Cup.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 3 Carriageway of A11 remains closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 5 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 6 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 7 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 8 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 9 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 10 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
He has gone on to make four starts for City, with a further 25 appearances from the bench, the most recent being in the goalless draw at Birmingham at the end of January.
Murphy has scored three more times since his debut, with a brace in the 3-1 Capital One Cup win over Crawley Town back in August being followed by a first league goal in the 3-1 victory at Blackpool the following month.
• City's Under-21s recorded an impressive 2-0 victory over their Tottenham counterparts at Hotspur Way yesterday.
Goals in each half from defenders Kyle McFadden (five minutes) and Michee Efete (78) secured the points for the visitors, with both efforts coming from Ray Grant corners.
Defender Ryan Bennett featured for City as an over-age player and stepped up his comeback from injury by completing the full 90 minutes. Bennett last played for the first team in the 2-1 win at Bournemouth on January 10.
Tottenham Under-21s: McGee; Yedlin, Ogilvie, McEneff (Paul, 17), Lesniak, McQueen, Ceballos, Winks, Akindayini, Miller, McEvoy. Subs not used: Miles (GK), Daly, Loft
Norwich City Under-21s: Matthews; Hall-Johnson, Efete, McGrandles, McFadden, R Bennett, Norman, Grant, Morris (Couzens, 75), Ramsay (Black, 82), Kelly. Subs not used: Killip (GK), Boateng.